Child Behavior Forum

Does my child truly have ADHD

Please help me find out if my child truly has ADHD.I am starting to doubt he does.He was diagnosed at age 7.He is now 13 yrs old,and in the 8th grade at a parochial school.His past medical history includes a normal gestation,delivered by C-section at 39 weeks,but had severe reflux, a questionable metabolic disorder(medium chain fatty acid co-enzyme deficiency),small kidneys with elevated BUN and creatnine,and metatarsis adductis.Most medical issues were resolved by age 1.He began walking at 12 months and talking at 18 months.He was,and remains,a very fussy eater and will only eat certain foods.He aversion to most foods is so severe that just tasting them will make him gag.He is also lactose intolerant.I began noticing restlessness and inattentiveness with him at age 5 with odd behavior such as chewing on the sleeves of his clothing.He was labeled immature in school.He was tested at this point and labeled as having mild ADHD.By age 7,his attentiveness dramatically decrease,and he became very fidgety,unable to concentrate or sit still.He was,and remains, impulsive with his speech and actions.He was placed on different medications in an attempt to better control the ADHD.He currently takes Strattera.He did well initially with his studies,but by third grade his grades began to slip and he began to isolate himself socially.At age 11,he became very depressed about his isolation and social situation and we sought immediate psychiatric care.He remains under psychiatric care for this as well as for his ADHD.His hyperactivity is now under control and his studies have vastly improved with special accomodations and private tutoring.However,he remains a social outcast in his class and has referred to himself as a geek or oddball.His classmates are kind to him and they do play with him at recess,but he is rarely invited to any social activities after school.He is awkward and clumsy, especially with handwriting and in any kind of sport.He does love playing basketball and acting in the school's "broadway" plays.He tends to gravitate towards interacting with younger kids and is often still considered immature.He also gravitates towards what he calls other "geeks" in school, but does not associate with them outside the classroom.He never asks for "playdates" and is content to be with himself.He appears to have tics or obsessive-type movements, such as sniffing his fingers, scratching his scalp, or shifting his eyes to the right or left.His interactions at home and with family are fine,but in public situations,he tends not to look at people when speaking and talks either in a monotone voice or with exaggerated inflection.He rarely initiates any type of conversation.He used to be obsessed with trains,but now he has been engrossed with video games for the past 3 years.He rarely goes anywhere without his Gameboy and does not want to put it down.Are all these issues related to just ADHD,or could there be some other problem thas has not been identified?
Your son certainly has a history which is typical of children who display ADHD, and that diagnosis is likely accurate. However, it is not the whole picture. Your son displays other conditions alongside the ADHD, and these other aspects of his functioning need to be pinpointed so that sensible intervention can occur. From a diagnostic standpoint, your description indicates that the following should be considered: Non Verbal Learning Disability, Tourette's Disorder, High-Functioning Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Sensory Integration Disorder. He may benefit from some addition to his medication, but in great part his 'other' (i.e., non-ADHD) problems will be addressed through some form(s) of therapy (e.g., social problem-solving group, occupational therapy).
it sounds exactly like you are describing my nephew. i do not know what to think. I quesion whether my nephew has ADD. he is great when he is at my house, or at grandmas, because there are rules. But at his own home he is a different kid. I think my sister has some parenting issues, and that fuels his behavior. she is very strict on him at times, and is VERY overprotective. (He isn't allowed to watch pg-13 movies) yet He owns every video game system made, and has games rated for adults due to graphics and violence.  Yet she gives him priveleges that most other parents wouldn't give a child that age. Like going to his girlfriends house after school when the parents are not home. I question wether his "problems" are his, or hers. I'm sure that you are a great parent, I just thought the similarities in the two boys ages and behaviors were weird. By the way, he has a biological father with a family history of mental illness, and goes to a therapist twice a month. He has a great stepfather, but he spoils him rotten.
some of the stuff you are describing sounds like autism. I have a daycare child with that? Is there a possibility that it has gone undiagnosed this long?
My brother was disgnosed as having ADD in the 2nd grade.  My parents tried different kinds of medicine but nothing seemed to make it better and he was always fine at home.  Anwyway...fastforward to high school and then we find out that this whole time he wasn't ADD but he had social anxiety disorder.  He is very smart and until we started to treat him for this his grades were horrible and he mostly kept to himself.  I personally believe that anytime a child has a problem these days the doctor just diagnoses as ADD.  Now he is in his first year of college and doing great.  He has not been on any medicine in 2 years.  I would talk to your doctor about this possibility.
I wonder if it could be Asperger's syndrome (a variant of autism)
Thanks so far for your input.I don't know if it's Asperger's,but that thought crosses my mind frequently.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments