Getting them to drink water

I've been having a hard time getting my 5 year old to see how important it is to drink something more than just soda all the time, but it has not been easy... He's pretty stubborn.  Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Don't buy soda.

I know this seems simplistic,  but really,  he's 5.  If you decide to keep buying soda,  tell him from now on he can choose one soda a day,  whenever he wants it that's fine.  Otherwise,  provide a bunch of really nice juices,  gatorade,  lemons and limes to make "citrus water" - wow that's good - a glass of ice water,  a teaspoon of sugar and a 1/4 lime or lemon squeezed in.

When he's 17 it would be hard to get him to drink what you want him to,  but he's only 5 - it's easy.  
Helpful - 0
my mom bought me lemons, limes, oranges and let me squeeze that in my water for some hint of flavor.  even today, that's the way i still have to have my water
Helpful - 0
I'd omit soda altogether--it's bad for their teeth.  And it's better to eat fruits than drink fruit juice.  I like the suggestion of squeezing citrus fruits into water.

If water was all he had to drink, he would drink it.
Helpful - 0
you can also try to  put just  a pinch of koolaid to give it color..maybe he will drink it..thats what i do with my 3 yr. old..But he does like his plain water too....good luck
Helpful - 0
or what about flavored water by capri..or dasani..those are really good....
Helpful - 0
Thanx for all the great suggestions... i tried a few of them but i think my husband had the easiest solution.. he brought home this new drink called Wat-aah and my son just loves it..  http://www.drinkwataah.com/ .. but sometimes i do have to add a lemon when he gets picky..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Community