Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting them to drink water

I've been having a hard time getting my 5 year old to see how important it is to drink something more than just soda all the time, but it has not been easy... He's pretty stubborn.  Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
13167 tn?1327194124
Don't buy soda.

I know this seems simplistic,  but really,  he's 5.  If you decide to keep buying soda,  tell him from now on he can choose one soda a day,  whenever he wants it that's fine.  Otherwise,  provide a bunch of really nice juices,  gatorade,  lemons and limes to make "citrus water" - wow that's good - a glass of ice water,  a teaspoon of sugar and a 1/4 lime or lemon squeezed in.

When he's 17 it would be hard to get him to drink what you want him to,  but he's only 5 - it's easy.  
Helpful - 0
484465 tn?1532214032
my mom bought me lemons, limes, oranges and let me squeeze that in my water for some hint of flavor.  even today, that's the way i still have to have my water
Helpful - 0
152852 tn?1205713426
I'd omit soda altogether--it's bad for their teeth.  And it's better to eat fruits than drink fruit juice.  I like the suggestion of squeezing citrus fruits into water.

If water was all he had to drink, he would drink it.
Helpful - 0
you can also try to  put just  a pinch of koolaid to give it color..maybe he will drink it..thats what i do with my 3 yr. old..But he does like his plain water too....good luck
Helpful - 0
or what about flavored water by capri..or dasani..those are really good....
Helpful - 0
Thanx for all the great suggestions... i tried a few of them but i think my husband had the easiest solution.. he brought home this new drink called Wat-aah and my son just loves it..  http://www.drinkwataah.com/ .. but sometimes i do have to add a lemon when he gets picky..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Community

Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441126518
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments