"I want to go home."

My 3 year old child says she wants to go home, when we are home.  She has been saying this off and on for at least the last year.  She can't explain to me what she means by "I want to go home."  It scares me.  What does that mean?  Is it something psychological, spiritual, or just a lack of understanding?  Can anyone help?
Might just be a lack of understanding. Have you moved in the last 2 years??
i wonder what would happen if you asked her to draw a picture of where she wants to go?  

I know at that age her drawings would be VERY crude, with just soft of scribbled symbolic images,   but when she explains what is in the picture she's drawn,  maybe you'll have an understanding?  

Best of luck with it,  very puzzling.
Ask her if she can tell or show you where "home" is.  Who is at her home?  I agree that if you've recently moved, this would explain what she means, but it's very puzzling.  She's so young and easily confused, she may have home confused with something else. I think since it has been a year, I would get her evaluated if only to find out what she wants.  I wish you all the best, and take care.
Dear Fatherson..

My 2 1/2 yr old is doing the same thing...i cant figure it out. what did you find out that helped you. PLEASE i am so worried...
Does she watch a program on TV with chjldren in a house or home she may be copying, does she have a babysitter may says the same thing about 'going home 'or a gran or family visiting and they say they are going home , ?.
I have said that since I was a child. I really didn't know what I ment by that. When I was asked what I ment by that I would just say idk I just want to go home. Then later on in life I would say home is where my heart is but I don't know where it is. Then one day I looked up and said to the sky, I don't belong here. I want to go home please. Then it hit me. I need Jesus.... Heaven is home. I was 33 before I realized what I ment. This world was dragging me down and I have been longing for home.

I am sure the OP does not want an answer to this anymore, however i used to do this as a child and i see my children saying this too.
For me "going home" meant that i was overwhelmed and needed something comfortable. A warm cup of milk and a comfy bed, some cuddles, some attention.
I used to think this a lot as a kid, not sure if I ever said it out loud to anyone or not, but for me at least I think it just meant I was unhappy. I didn't feel "at home" because one associates "at home" with feelings of contentment, relaxation, etc. And I suffered from anxiety as a kid (still do). So I think if I was anxious about something or if maybe someone I loved wasn't there, or especially if something bad was happening at my house (not to say anything bad is happening at *your* house), it wouldn't feel like "home" anymore and what I really wanted was that "home" feeling back, not a physical location. Hope this helps!
reincarnation kids often remember a past life i remembered who i was and how i died and were i had been buried
I'm 18 and I've been doing it since i was 3 and its a psycholog thing, to me at least - I've made up an amagary home where I go when I feel left out or overwhelmed, at that age it's just a house -ask her to say where the stares is in this house and now I say it to remind me there is a safe place I can go ... If that makes sence
Oh geez ok don't freak out this might Scare You But Your 3 Year old MIGHT remember her/his past life...

For real god is real some kids remember their past lives
I used to do the same thing as your daughter when I was younger. I just couldn't recognize that I was home because it didn't feel like home. My mom was scared when she heard me say this, because I would usually be quite hysterical. I still recall the days when I felt like home wasn't home. Like something was missing, though my family was stable. I am 16 now and was wondering why I was feeling this way as a child, did you find any answers?
So now it is 2020 and I'm now in my mid twenties and I remember always saying this as a child it would literally tear me apart and the feeling was so strong but I could not explain home I couldn't even picture it I just knew I needed to go home. Now these past couple of months my 3yr old son has been saying this and he cries so hard and I remember how I used to be the same. You probably won't believe me honestly I don't care but I do remember always being and talking/interacting with people who  were not there my mother used to get scared....I remember talking to relatives who had passed away long before I was born and I could describe them to my parents even though I had never seen pictures of the people. I could even tell when my loved ones were about to pass away but when I was 12 and I knew it was my grandfathers time to pass I just ignored everything told myself I didn't see/hear/feel things and I guess eventually it  somewhat went away. Now my kid says he talks with my dad and my sister in law who's both passed away before he was born and he says things to me that I can't possibly explain how he knows  especially since nobody ever talks about my dad or my sister in law...I don't have any answers just super puzzled....
I think home is comfy.  Everyone gets that feeling of wanting to retreat to the safe place and this is the way that a little one shares it.  I take it as a compliment when kids say that.  And I think talking to someone who has passed away is a coping mechanism used to make someone feel better.  The mind heals in this way.  
With in the last few weeks to a month my 2 year old says this. :( idk how to console her.  But reading other people's responses helps me not feel so alone. We did move a year ago but she would have only been 13 months? But maybe she does remember our last house.
Oh yes, so very common in kiddos your little one's age.  You aren't alone.  :>)  

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Community