Child Behavior Forum

Making Friends

Hi.  I have three kids, two six year olds and a 5 year old.  My 6 year old son Kyle has two issues that we are dealing with;
1) the hardest time making friends because he gets bossy, conceited and very competitive with them so they are taken aback and refuse to play with him.  In turn, he'll get angry and do something mean to them like mess up there legos, push them, or something like that (but he has to get the last jab in there).  When any other adult (besides me) trys to correct him or put him on time out he verbally lashes out at them in anger for "blaming him when it's not his fault".  I've tried to tell him that it's not everyone elses fault, that he's a wonderful boy with a compassionate heart but he doesn't allow others to see it because he doesn't control his temper, but he's just not getting it.

2) He ALWAYS has to be the best, the fastest, the smartest, the most helpful, etc. The teachers and I have tried and tried to tell him he doesn't HAVE to get an 'A' or 100%, just do your best that's it but he can not accept that.  If he can't do something then he just cries, pouts or has a melt down and just quit.  He puts way too much pressure on himself and I don't know why, we certainly don't put him as much as he pushes his self.

He's been this way for as long as I can remember and teacher after teacher has told me that he's very immature, extremely sensitive and puts way too much pressure on himself.  I'm at my witts end.  I want to help him by have no idea how.  Can you please help?
This level of insecurity in his performance and in relationships invites professional intervention. My advice is to arrange clinical help for him. One possibility to address the social interactions is to participate in a social skills group (sometimes schools offer these).
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments