Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.3k Members

My 3 and 4 year old Wont Poop in Toilet

Please offer some advice! I am panicked because my 4 yr old will turn 5 next month and of course start kindergarten soon.  Both my 3 and 4 yr old have never gone to daycare. My daughter is 4 and the oldest, she was potty trained at early at 1 and couple of months with both poop and pee. My son is 13 months behind her, we tried potty training my son at 2 and that's when my daughter regressed.  Also around this time their dad and I separated abruptly.  I at first thought this was the triggering factor, but now this has gone on for almost 2 years now.  I have tried positive reinforcement, taking away outdoors, regulating their diet, making them sit for a time on the toilet.  I have gotten very little success. And when one is doing better, the other keeps pooping on themselves, eventually the other goes back to it.  I am becoming very concerned.  I hope its not an emotionally issue, my kids are very smart (most people consider them advanced in communication skills).  Everyone is wondering, as well as I why they decide to poop on themselves versus going to the bathroom.  I see them standing stiff at times, as if they are trying to hold it in.  I then tell them to go to the bathroom.  They sit there and don't do anything.  Then 5 minutes later, they've done it on themselves. I hate punishing them for this, because my gut tells me that I am missing something and have done little to help and more to contribute to the problem. Please advise.

This discussion is related to 4 year old pooping in his pants at preschool.
1 Responses
5914096 tn?1399918987
I think that the very first thing you should do is to consult with the pediatrician to determine if there is a medical or an emotional issue contributing to this behavior.  It is difficult to make any other recommendations until these two issues are ruled out.
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441126518
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments