Child Behavior Community

My son is cutting up his clothes

My son will be 6 in April.  He began to show strange behavior when he started Kindergarten.  It has become more clear now that this needs to be address with a physiologist.
He started with cutting up his clothes just a little bit, and now I find more and more every week as I do laundry.  He denies doing it, but under a pressure he admitted that he has done it.   He also was smearing his boogers on the wall, but I quickly fixed it by making him wash the wall every weekend.  But the clothes cutting stays.  I am beginning to think that something is going on at school and he is not telling me.
He does not show any other abnormal behavior, even though he is known for lying and "forgetting" to do what he is asked.  Otherwise he is a very happy, funny, talkative and active sweet boy.  He does seam to have mood change here and there, but I don't see a major problem here.
Any suggestions?

The psychologist seems like a good idea. Does he have a lot of "sensory" issues - such as avoiding certain textures and being drawn to others? For example, does he frequently tear up tissues and paper or play a lot with sand, mud, dirt, etc? Some kids exhibit unusual behaviors associated with sensory issues, but this is usually evident beginning when they are young 2-3 and continuing into later years, as opposed to beginning at school age. That latter fact, makes it seem as though he is reacting to something stressful and disconcerting and he is exhibiting it in his behavior. Definitely seems wise to consult with a professional.
No, no other issues.  My natural reactction was actually to just punish him for this, but my mom said that this may be phsycological.  He is a happy kid with a pretty strong will that makes it hard to make him do somthing, but he does not have any issues in shcool.  He does great academically and has had only one note send home during this whole school year for goofing off.  This is what throws me off.  Does he cut his close (at school) simply to be "cool"?
It is unlikely at his age that he would be cutting his clothes to be cool. Does he say what he likes about cuting his clothes?
Honestly I did not go as far as asking him how he feels about it.  I was happy to pick up from his reaction to my "interrogation" that he is doing it himself verses someone is doing it to him.   I actually want to go to school and ask why his teacher is not aware of the fact that child has an access to scissors and doing what he is doing without her even knowing it.
OK, just had a conversation with him and asked if he likes to cut fabric....  He said no, he just didn't like the clothes that he cut (!).
I don't buy it a 100% as he cut a couple of things that were his "favorite".   Now what?
What didn't he like about them? How did he like the way they looked after he cut them? How about the things he cut that were his favorites? Does he know how you feel about him cutting his clothes? How does he feel when he's cutting them? What does he think you should do when he sees you cutting his clothes? let m e know what he says if you can get a conversation going with him. If he answers honestly and makes an effort to converse with you about it, it may shed light on what's going on. Try to get him talking about it. Be neutral curious and tell him that you will not get angry bout anything he says.