Child Behavior Forum

PDD medications side effects

Please list the known side effects of the medications Metadate, Concerta and other commonly used medications for children 5 years old who have PDD. By the way, I read on a pamphlet of Concerta that it should not be given to children under the age of 6. Do you know if it is commonly prescribed to 5 year old children?
Please also indicate the side effects, short term + long term for using Ritalin.
Another question that I have is about secretin. My son's secretin levels are below the normal range. Recent research has suggested that taking secretin has not been beneficial. I do not know if there have been an other students which indicate taking secretin is beneficial. What alternatives could there be to adjusting the diet so not to tax the need for secretin. If the foods that require secretin are reduced by lowering the intake amounts, can this be a way to address the problem. If so, what foods should be avoided>

Thanks so much

Metadate, Ritalin, and Concerta are stimulant medications employed in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. They all are forms of methylphenidate and have essentially the same side effect profile. Side effects can include appetite suppression, onset insomnia (more likely if the medication is taken later in the day so that it has not been metabolized by 8:00 pm or so), some stomach upset if not taken with food, motor tics (usually involving the facial muscles), headache, unusual thinking, and irritability.

As you may already know, secretin is one of the body's neurotransmitters, commonly referred to as chemical messengers. Secretin is one of the chemicals that controls digestion. In research conducted to investigate digestion, it was noted that the substance yielded some benefits in behavior - e.g., increased alertness, better eye contact, improvement in expressive language. However, controlled studies have been few, and they have not been encouraging relative to expected benefits for children diagnosed with disorders along the PDD spectrum, particularly autism. Synthetic secretin has been produced for the purpose of research - it is not approved for other use.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments