Child Behavior Forum

Pediatric use of depakote

I have been unsuccesful in finding information on the use of Depokate for my 6 yr. old daughter. She had been diag. with
bi-polar disorder, OCD, and are now ruling out a Sensory Intergration Dysfuction.

Thank You !
Julie Rodriguez
Dear Ms. Rodriquez,

Depakote is an anticonvulsant which is employed in the treatment of bipolar disorder in children and adults. It has a mood stabilizing influence, and with children the target symptom(s) usually include explosiveness, volatility, rage, angry reactivity.

It is important to obtain lab work when this medication is used, in order to measure serum levels of the medication. Side effects might include nausea or other gastrointestinal distress, weight gain, or transient increases in hepatic enzymes. Caution must be taken re: interactions with other drugs.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments