Sertraline for my 91/2 years old daughter

I'm a 44 years old man.I've come through major OCD since my childhood.I experienced the problem at the age of 7 or 8.At the age of 21 while going through severe constant panic attack I started medication with tricyclic antidepressant clomipramine.Because the result was not satisfactory I had to switch to many different antidepressants. Eventually when I started with sertraline in 1998 it changed my life for the better.I never felt the life so pleasant before I started with this medication.Since then up-to-date I'm on this medication.Though I do go through normal ups and downs,over all the life is satisfactory.

What I worry is that now I have a 9 years old daughter.Generally she is a cheerful girl.Shows interest in her study,some sports and good at general knowledge and IQ for her age.But I'm afraid she likes to (1)frown and shout at when she is asked to do something( could it be because her mother is a short-tempered one?).(2)She has an unnecessary fear for dogs.(3)Since she was very young(about 3 years)she always displays a kind of anxiety when cutting the nail of her smallest(fifth)toe,she is afraid that I would cut her toe rather than her nail.(4)She also shows some signs of mild trichotillomania. And(5) these days I often notice her making throat clearing sound which I beleive she can't resist,very similar to the one I remember OCD began in me.

It's because I've been through horrible experience of OCD, anxeity, depression, post traumatic stress desorder and panic attack all at once,I wouldn't want my child to go through any one of these, I'm thinking of giving her with sertraline(Zoloft,Zosert)to treat for her above mentioned symptoms.your kind advice would be very much appreciated.Thank you and looking forward to your kind reply.
Best Answer
I belong to a support group for parents and teachers of children suffering from anxiety.  Social and separation anxiety tend to show themselves very early - often before two years of age; while OCD and GAD tend to "rear their ugly heads" at about eight to ten years of age.  So, as always, your first step should be to contact your family doctor.  The first step in proper treatment is never, ever medication (that is always the last resort - and not a bad thing, if necessary).  If your family doctor is unable to help you, then ask for a referral to a medical mental health specialist with experience in working with children in anxiety disorders.  

As you already know, anxiety will not go away nor (if this is the issue) will your daughter outgrow this.  But, anxiety can be managed.  By the way, if your daughter requires medication, a few of our children in our group have taken Zoloft with success; however, many now use newer SSRI's which are more suitable for children.  All the best ...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think it is possible that because of your own struggles you are thinking she may have similar if not the same .I would seriously think it through and speak to a Doctor before thinking of  putting her onto a powerful drug .Some of her behaviors you describe here , reading your post sound 'normal' ,one instance is if someone else cut my toe nails I would flinch.and many people regularly, annoyingly clear their throats ,I do understand your concern however I do hope you will think seriously before you put your child on any medication ..good luck  
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Yes, I really do agree with margypops.  What you are describing is almost normal. If you want to see what the reasons for meds for a 9 year old would be, check out this post to get a feeling what the differences can be between what you are describing and this posters problem with her child.  The med part is the very last post by her.  The link is - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Child-Behavior/my-9-year-old-daughter/show/1523252
     Having had a daughter I can completely understand your wish to protect her and not go through what you went through.  But there are many steps to take before meds.  Read up on OCD.  And also realize that something like throat clearing could also be due to seasonal allergies.  And by the way, she is a girl.  Starting soon, she is going to start going though normal developmental stages that will drive you crazy.  Keep post here and hopefully, we will be able to tell you what is something to worry about or not.  Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
As I said in my original post I know of many children who have the behaviors you have described here it doesn't mean they are suffering from anxiety ,I do agree some assessment would be the best thing here ,I mainly say that because of your concerns regarding how you were .at her age ..good luck .
Helpful - 0
Thank you for all your invaluable suggestions. It will indeed help me raising my child, thanks for everything ! but could you also elaborate on her excessive fear with dogs.
Helpful - 0
Very often children who fear dogs very often have not had much contact with them and also may have been scared by a dog barking/jumping, if she was 3 year old it would be scary if she had no dog in the family and a friends dog barked or jumped at her as dogs do .Do you wish to get a dog ? if so get a small to medium dog, but first introduce her to them slowly , maybe through friends or the local shelter .Good luck ,you are a very caring Dad she will do well .
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Community