Child Behavior Community

Terrible Two or something more

Ok so my 2 1/2 year old son is very defiant and no matter how a punish him (time out,spanking, taking toys away) he still does the same stuff that I have been getting after him for during the last 6 or more months. My husband and I are at a loss with him right now we have read many parenting books and have done and listen to a lot of the information. we are both very persistent with trying to teach him what he can and cant do but he gets angry and  throws stuff at us so that gets him in more trouble its almost like he likes getting into trouble. I've tried to talk to my Dr. about everything but he just blows it off as terrible twos but I have 2 other kids who were never this bad or persistent on getting in trouble. my husband has ADHD and is bipolar but is being treated for the bipolar disorder but could my son be showing early signs of both and what should I do seeing my DR doesn't think its anything more then terrible two. we are getting stressed out and have no clue what to do at this point
You are "stressed out" which is one of the problems. This is just a little toddler - a difficult little toddler. I would stop punishing him and inject as much tranquility as possible. Siblings do not necessarily resemble each other just because they come from the same gene pool. So if your son is different from your other children, that is to be expected. When I look at my four I am convinced that we give birth to aliens. Only superficially are they like me or my husband - or like each other.
Can you give examples of some of the rules he consistently breaks?  

I was advised early in parenting to say yes if possible.  So rather than say no rock throwing,  we had a rock throwing area at the park.  Instead of don't jump on the beds,  there was a mattress bed on the floor for jumping on.  So is it possible you have more rules than you really need?

Secondly,  if your husband has bipolar disorder and ADHD,  it's likely that at least one of your children will also have behavioral disorder symptoms.
Don't focus on your son's reaction to the discipline.  Just be consistent with one discipline.  Don't jump from discipline to discipline.  Stick with a 2 minute timeout per misbehavior.  Remember, discipline doesn't change behavior.  You r son needs to want to change his behavior.  Therefore, be consistent with one discipline and don't focus on your son's reaction to the discipline or his behavior there after.  Eventually, when he sees that his freedom is being taken away because of the discipline for his behavior, he will eventually begin to behave.  When he gets this message is totally up to him and not you.
Yes, something more could be going on.  Agree that it would help to know what he is having trouble with following through on.  But my son has sensory integration disorder and his toddler years were rough.  Discipline wouldn't have solved the issues.  Understanding the WhY's were really key in overcoming them.  Being out on the other side now, I'm glad that I didn't have my child spending his toddler years as a 'bad boy' but rather did things that helped him be his best self.  

so, more information would be helpful.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Besides all the excellent advice given above.  Really work on immediate rewards for positive behavior.  When he does something the way you want him to act - immediately reward him.   Don't try charts or points or any of that stuff - he is too young.  
I don't have many rules to begin with I simply don't want him in the kitchen because hes always into anything and everything so its a simple no zone and he does know hes not supposed to be in there also not to climb on my tables which he also knows better but still does it and to leave my computer and mine and my husband phones alone he has his own play phones and has his own play computer and knows hes not supposed to play with ours but still does its worse when dad is gone then when he is home also I'm not stressed all the time I get stressed because my toddler and I buttheads on a daily bases I do reward for good behavior and I try to stick to one punishment but the time out doesn't work at all because I spend more time fighting with him to stay in time out then hes actually in it