Child Behavior Forum

Three year old with ADHD??????

My son is almost three years old and his daycare teachers and my family seem to think he has ADHD.  As I child, I had ADD and I know that it is a serious issue.  He has already been kicked out of one daycare and right now he is on probation at the new one.  The teacher says that he is aggressive, hitting, punching, kicking, biting, and pinching.  He also talks back to her and rolls his eyes already.  He is a really bright child and the teachers do agree with that.  He knows his alphabet and can recognize most letters and numbers which is better than most of his class.  However, they can not move him up into a higher level class because of his behavior.  Lately, this has transferred into our home.  He does not listen and he even hits me and my mom.  His dad and I do not believe in spanking, but lately I find myself wishing we did.  I do not know what else to do.  I am a student in college and I am getting called every few days to pick him up because of his behavior.  Is it possible for a three year old to have ADHD? I am at my wits end.  If it is possible, what can be done to treat this and how will it affect my son.  Another problem is that he is only 34.6 lbs.  He eats, but he is so hyperactive that the weight is gone instantly.  I can hardly get him to sit down and eat.  I can not find clothes to fit him this winter because he is so tall, but so skinny.  He should be wearing a 4T, but his waist is so small that a 2T will fit but is too short.  I just don't know what to do.  I don't really want to spank my child nor do I want him on medicine, but I do not know what to do anymore and neither does his dad, my fiance.   Help!!
It is possible for a three-year-old to display ADHD, and the positive family history places him in an at-risk category. Having said that, the aggressive and defiant behavior you describe is really not indicative of ADHD. So, while your son might indeed display the hyperactivity and impulsivity that are typical of Hyperactive/Impulsive ADHD, that is not the sole explanation of what is occurring. The severity of your son's behavior, and the fact that it is posing a major obstacle to his mastery of pre-school, invite an evaluation by a pediatric mental health professional (child psychiatrist, child psychologist, e.g.). Clinicians are understandably wary of prescribing medication for a child so young, but it is not unheard of, depending usuallly on the severity of the circumstances. Try not to handle this on your own; things will not improve without intervention. As a side note, spanking your son will not solve the problem either. Relative to managing the behavior, rely on Lynn Clark's approach in SOS Help for Parents. It is a useful, practical, tried-and-true method for managing childhood behavior.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments