Child Behavior Community

VYVANSE

My son has been taking 40 mg of vyvanse for a couple of years. It has been a week since he started 50 mg. He seems alot more agitated and annoyed with everybody and his impulse behavior is alot worse,very mouthy and disrespectful. is this a side effect of the vyvanse?
COMMUNITY LEADER
    Sounds like he is at the "top of the therapeutic window"  as Dr. Parker calls it.  The dose is too high.
    Tell your doc immediately.   If the 40 was not working as well.  Its possible that having a high protein breakfast will be enough to make a difference.   V. should be good for 12 or so hours but "many don't feel it working, and therefore miss when it quits working."  When V "quits in the afternoon, the ability to finish tasks is done."  P125, New ADHD Medication Rules, Dr. Charles Parker.
   This link gives lots of good information.
              http://www.corepsych.com/2009/06/adhd-vyvanse-and-duration-doe-simplified/
   Hope these help.  I am also the CL on the ADHD forum if you have any other questions.