Child Behavior Community

Worried and confused by my son's behavior.

My 3 1/2 year old is having major issues in his montessori class. He's hitting, not listening (at all) and can't sit still. My wife is having a very hard time with it seeing as she works at his school. Before we put him in school, she had started a little montessori class at home for him. He did GREAT. He could focus, did his work correctly, and had a good demeanor. Now it's an entirely different story. We're worried. He won't listen to us at home, is easily distracted, throws major tantrums and has a hard time sitting still.
        My wife is Japanese, and only spoke to him in Japanese so that he could learn both languages. I have a theory that he's getting frustrated because his (english) speech is not as developed as other children in his class. His stories are often random and incoherent, which could also add to him having a hard time making friends. I work a lot, and am not able to spend as much time talking with him as I'd like. I also have a fear that he might have ADD as well. He does have some of the possible symptoms of it, but not all of them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Our son having problems listening in Kindergarten.
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Many 3 year olds don't sit still, throw tantrums, don't listen, and are easily distracted.  How you deal with it is important.  Montessori classes are wonderful for kids because they are kind of unstructured and kids get to choose what they want to do.  They may not be the best place for children who might need more structure.
   I would suggest that you "obtain a copy of Lynn Clarks' book SOS: Help for Parents".  If that doesn't help, then you might want to take a look at, "The ADD/ ADhD Answer book." , by Susan Ashley.  
   And yes, if the only language (or the majority) he was getting at home was Japanese, then his English skills will be delayed.  They will catch up.  And it could account for some frustrations at school, but shouldn't at home.  So you might take a look at both books.  Good luck