Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

adhd meds together?

while i am trying natural remedies for adhd...i have a question about prescription drugs:

is it acceptable/safe for my 9 year old son to take a 20mg.s.r. ritalin in the a.m. and a 5 mg. adderall at lunch?

what are the possible benefits/side effects of this type doseage?

thanks for any help/info
1 Responses
242606 tn?1243786248
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Worried Mom,

The medication plan you describe is a bit unusual, but there is nothing inappropriate about it. Adderal is a stimulant compound, composed of both methylphenidate and dextroamphetamine. Ritalin is the brand name for methylphenidate.

The possibe (but not probable) side effects of the medications are pretty much the same, and include headaches, appetite suppression, GI upset (particularly if taken on an empty stomach), insomnia (if taken too late in the day), psychotic thinking and development of motor tics. Most children who take these medications do not experience any of these side effects, but probably the most common is appetite suppression.
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments