Child Behavior Forum

adhd symptoms

ive just taken an online test to see if my son has adhd it said that he is showing symtoms. he is 5 years old. his teacher has said that he is the brightest boy in the class but finds it hard to pay attention and fidgets all the time, he shouts out alot and when he is at home he never listens to a word i say when i ask him to behave. he runs and jumps about and never walks and talks constantly i have to ask him repeatedly every time i want him to do something. do you think this is adhd?
Your son may well display ADHD, but it is important to arrange a thorough evaluation and not rush too quickly to the diagnosis. The on-line surveys can be useful tools to see if a person might display symptoms typical of ADHD, but a thorough assessment will consider a child's medical history, family history, current functioning at home and in school, possible alternative explanations for the symptoms identified on the surveys, etc. In other words, the on-line surveys can be useful starting points, but it is wise to use the information to launch a thorough evaluation by a pediatric mental health or behavioral health clinician.
My two girls are 5and 6 and pediatric dr put them on ritilan. They both have severe speech problems and since they have been on the medicine their speech is improving but they seem like they are just drugged out to me. I have talked to their dr but he assures me this will pass. The 6 year old is extremly emotional while on it, I cut their dose to half of what the dr said and they still are not right. Any suggestions? I asked for strattara and dr says it will not work for them.
When psychostimulant medications, like Ritalin, are successful, there should be no sedating or 'drugged out' impact. While this might occur for a day or a few days, it should disappear. If not, either the medication is not the correct option, or the dose is not the best dose. Try to figure this out with the prescribing doctor. Strattera can be a good choice for children who do not respond well to a stimulant medication, or for children who cannot take Ritalin (e.g., if they have a history of seizures). It is usually wise to proceed with one of the stimulant medications (if Ritalin or another of the methylphenidate products is not useful, perhaps one of the dextroamphetamine prodicts, like Adderall, will be a better choice).
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments