Child Behavior Community

child behavior

My 12 year old son was diagnosed at 8 yrs. with ADHD.  He has a very high IQ 145.  His behavior is extremely defiant, always has been.  It is getting worse now that he is in 7th grade and must take some responsibility for his own work.  He has been failing certain tests, losing books and bus pass.  He argues over everything from personal hygeine to school work to attending sports practice.  We fight constantly but as soon as it is over he acts as if nothing happened.  My son takes Strattera once a day.  My husband is not around muchy due to a demanding job.

Could he have another condition? Bipolar possibly?
He sounds like he has a lot of positives.

He's got a very high IQ,  and he's in sports,  and is keeping up in school although he fails some tests?

If he has ADHD,  I think you can expect him to lose a book here and there,  and a bus pass.  

It sounds like he is also hard to be around because of his defiance.  

On balance,  it sounds like he is doing okay in school?  What sports does he play?