Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.3k Members

child not swallowing solid food

my 5 year old son has stopped eating solid foods.  he complains that it hurt to swallow and that his adam's apple hurts when he tries to swallow solid food.  He can drink and eat soft food like bread but says that spagetti is too hard and he can't swallow it.  He has been xrayed with no finds and has had a camera scope his throat, also with no abnormalities.  Do you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?  He has not eaten solid food for about 3 to 4 weeks.  We are having him examined further with blood and bowel samples.
1 Responses
13167 tn?1327194124
pop,  this is kind of a puzzle.  I tend to trust children when they say things about food and swallowing - but a child who can swallow bread can swallow spaghetti,  in my experience.  

I would go to the toddler foods jars in the grocery store and buy those for the next few weeks,  and see what happens.

Has anything happened in his life in the last few weeks - a strep infection,  a high fever,  a move,  a divorce,  etc.?
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441126518
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments