Child Behavior Forum

help for master's studies

I am currently a graduate student studying the long term effects of ritalyn on young children.  Will you please give me some background information on the drug ritalyn, its uses and why it has become so popularly prescribed for children with behavioral problems?  Also, could you please recommend sites for me to find more information on the effects of this drug on children?
Ritalin is one of several stimulant medications employed in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Treatment with this medicine is an appropriate intervention for ADHD, though medication does not have to be employed with all children who manifest this condition. Children have been prescribed Ritalin (generic name is methylphenidate) for many years, and there has been considerable work directed toward investigating its effects. For a thorough description of its action, consult the Physician's Desk Reference. For an exhaustive list of citations, look at the following site:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/cbm/adhd.html
This site is sponsored by the National Library of Medicine, and includes bibliographies from 1980-1998. The information on stimulant medications, including Ritalin/Methylphenidate, is very reliable.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments