Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.3k Members

loss of recognization

My son is 5 1/2 and this is his second year in preschool.  He will be in preschool 1 more year due to his birthday and the schoolPreschooler development
I can honestly say that I have been trying to teach him his ABC's and 123's for about 2 years now.  He knows the ABC song and can count to 16.  But when asked if he can find a certain letter or number, he usually does not know.  He does recognize numbers 0-3 and maybe about 10 letters, but that is it.  He is not interested.  While teaching him, I have used puzzels, books, workbooks, DVD's, number and alphabet charts, Leap Frog handHand or foot spasms
Hand tremor held games as well a v-tech.  I have also used a reward system with m&m's, tossing a ball for every correct answer, making a big deal about it, telling him how proud I am, etc.  He is just not getting it and I am at my witts end.  It took him about a year to learn his colorsColor blindness
Color blindness tests
Color vision test...and that was a nightmare.  I know this is not normal, and I don't know what to do.  I was hopeing to get more information on what may be wrong.  Thank You
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342342773
Hi, it sounds like you've worked very hard with him.  I would continue to be patient and work with him the way you have been.  Perhaps he has a learning disability called dyslexia.  My niece has this and has always had a difficult time with reading.  A learning disability by no means a child is dumb but just that the brain in the child functions a bit differently.  Dyslexia is a processing problem.  My niece is now in college and while she had some things that helped her through school, she graduated with honors from highschool.  I would consider having him evaluated for this.  Good luck.  You sound like a mom that works hard to give your child the best start he could have.
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441126518
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments