Child Nutrition Forum

Help for overweight daughter

Like so many kids, my daughter is overweight. I know we need to increase activity and watch her caloric and nutritional intake . Could you please give me some guidelines for her age.

It seems whenever she sees me she says she's hungry. She was breast fed as a baby and was very difficult to wean (age 3 1/2). I think that she associates me with food and comfort.
She also sneaks food. Even if I think there is nothing in the cupboards that could do her any harm she will find something - like hot coco mix or a cake mix - and eat it right out of the package!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Her weight is on the 95th percentile and her height is just below the 50th percentile which indicates she is still in the Growth Chart and normal, not overweight. She may appear overweight due to her stature is lower than her weight. She needs approximately 2000 calories a day to grow because she is still a child. She will be entering puberty and will be physically changing. As she gets older she may loss it. You seem to know that it is recommend increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Suggest dancing which is fun and will help to maintain/lose weight. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Glad to hear you are limiting high sugar drinks/snacks and try replacing with milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn/cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Thank you for your question.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments