Child Nutrition Forum

Underweight Toddler

My son takes all day to drink even 8 oz of milk (whole with Carnation Instant Breakfast, which packs 280  calories per 8 oz).  Pediatric GI specialist wants to do endoscopy & signoidoscopy to check for allergy or reflux (he's on 15mg of Prevacid per day).  He only presents for these 2 possiblities in that he is underweight and refuses foods after eating about 5 bites (he has eaten 15 bites for his morning cereal).  He will eat 100 calories of yogurt, 1 to 2 pieces of cheese, and all fruits, especially watermelon.  Sometimes he'll heat a piece of pizza and usually always he eats lasagna, spaghetti and fettuccini alfredo.  I am not convinced of reflux or allergy and really am not sure about doing this recommended procedure under anesethesia.  The gi specialist never asked about our weights or my other 2 boys weights.  My oldest weighed 23 lbs at 18 months so this child is only 5 lbs under his brother's weight.  I also still breastfeed 2-3 times per day (morning, noon and bedtime).  He has never been a furocious breastfeeder either.  I truly believe if he would drink more Carnation Instant Breakfast (with whole milk) in a day that he would gain more weight.  I don't fill him on fruits anymore because I only feed him high-calorie foods when he needs to eat.  He is happy and active and appears healthy and has reached all his milestones for development.  I am considering a second opinion, but I have a feeling all specialists encourage these procedures these days as standard operating procedure.  I add butter, olive oil & heavy whipping cream in, but his weight only increases at this very slow rate.  He has always incresed on his weight (he has an upward curve on the centile chart, but it curves below the 0% mark).  The concern of the GI specialist is that the distance from his weight to his height is growing more.  What is your take on the GI's recommendation?  What are the consequences of this slow rate on my son's brain development?  Thank you for your thoughts.
His weight is just below the 5th percentile and his height is on the10th percentile for his age. Are you breast feeding before or after his meal? If before, then he is full from breast milk to want to eat food. Suggest breast feeding him after meals, so he is hungry for the meals. It is great to hear you are giving him Carnation Instant breakfast in his milk. Suggest you put it in his milk every time he drinks milk. Another suggestion is to pump your breast milk (if you want to continue breast feeding) and give it to him at meals as his 'milk' in a sippy cup. Carnation Instant breakfast can be mixed in it. He can feed himself (with his fingers) and should be eating regular food, cut up in small pieces, at this age. Here is a guideline for an 18-24 month old child should eat the following on a daily basis: Dairy 3-4 feedings a day – Milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), rice (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), egg (1), or beans (¼ cup). Hoped this helped you.

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments