Child Nutrition Forum

Underwieght

My daughter is 10 1/2 months old. Her doctor said she is in the normal range for height but she is only in the 2nd percentile for weight. she eats a lot! i feed her all the time and always have snacks out for her but she just isn't gaining weight. I am worried her doc thinks im not feeding her but obviously Im more worried something is wrong! When she left the hospital she was small but in the begining she was 23rd percentile and at 6 months it started to slow. first she dropped to the 6th percentile for height and weight then at 8 months it went to 3rd. this time we went in and now she is 2nd and Im really worried. I dont know what to do I have started giving her avacado cause i heard it will plump her up and I offer her food all the time and she eats it but Im at a loss. Her doctor ordered blood tests but they came back normal. What can I do to get my baby to gain weight. She is normal developmentally. she talks walks (using furniture) and everything else a baby should do. Please help.
From the measurements you wrote, both her weight and height are below the 3rd percentile for her age unless there is an error. If her weight has been decreasing and you are concerned, then suggest going for a second opinion. As a guideline for a 9-12 month old child should eat the following: Breast-milk or Formula (6-8oz) 3-5 feedings a day, Dairy 1 serving a day – cheese (1/2 oz) or yogurt (1/2 cup). Starch 2 feedings a day – Infant Cereal (2-4 Tbsp), bread (1/2 slice), crackers (2), or pasta (3-4 Tbsp). Fruits or Vegetables 2-3 feedings a day – (3-4 Tbsp). Meat 2 feedings a day – 3-4 Tbsp) or beans (1/4 cup). Suggest staying with the formula you are using presently, and when she turns 12 months old use Pediasure, nutrient dense drink, in place of milk if her weight is still in the lower ranges of the growth chart for additional calories and protein for growth.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments