Child Nutrition Forum

Weight gain

My son is 9 years old and has several medical conditions. He has a shunt, a VSD, short stature and ADHD. He takes a growth hormone, ADHD med and lactolose. I cannot get him to gain weight! He is like a bottomless pit. I have even started giving him weight gaining shakes. Any suggestions?
His weight is below the 5th percentile and his height is just below the 10th percentile (on the Growth chart) for his age. Children with cardiac issues are usually underweight. If his VSD has been surgery corrected, then he will gain weight as he gets older. It is good you are giving him shakes. Use them in place of milk so he gains weight. You can make your own with milk, ice cream, and fruit blended which is cheaper.  
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments