Child Nutrition Forum

What is a healthy weight range for my daughter

I'm worried about my daughters weight.  She is in kindergarten and is almost the tallest in her class.  The only other child that is taller than her is a 6yo girl.  However, we have noticed that she is carrying more weight than I would like for her to.  What is the ideal weight range for a child of her height?  We also would like to know what we could do to help her reach that weight range?  Thanks in advance!
For children growth and weight are measured against a growth chart by percentiles. Her weight is very above the 95th percentile and her height is on the 95th percentile for her age. She may be bigger in general due to genetics. Are there tall women in the family? It is recommend increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. For her age she needs approximately 1800 calories a day to grow. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt, fruit, air popped popcorn, or low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits, salads, and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments