Child Nutrition Forum

below the growth chart

My son eat anything really not to picky, he doesnt like cows milk, is breast feed but we are weaning him off. My question is should i be worried because he is in the -3 percentile for weight and height. I have tried to put weight on him but it doesnt seem to work. They want to take a xray of his bones to see if his bones are big or small. Should i be worried or will he grow?
His weight and height are below the 3rd percentile for his age. Sometimes when children are smaller, it maybe genetic. Are there smaller stature males in the family? If he is gaining weight and growing at a steady rate, no matter how slow, that is considered he is alright but small. Suggest the following to wean him off breast milk to regular milk: mixing ¾ breast milk with ¼ regular milk and see if he accepts and tolerates it. If he does, then after a week or so, try doing a bottle mix of ½ breast milk, and ½ regular milk. Gradually go to a bottle mix of ¼ breast milk and ¾ regular milk then totally to all milk. After he is on regular milk, suggest making milkshakes (milk and ice cream blended) in place of milk for every meal, for additional calories/protein to help gain weight. A recommended guideline for a 12 month old child should eat the following: Dairy 3-4 feedings a day – Milk (6-8oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup). Starch 2 feedings a day – Infant Cereal (2-4 Tbsp), pasta (3-4 Tbsp), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 2-3 feedings a day – Fruits (3-4 Tbsp- including 100% juice limited to only 3ozs) & Vegetables (3-4 Tbsp). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat (3-4 Tbsp), or beans (¼ cup). The food should be eaten as 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. At this age you can give him ‘finger foods’ (regular food cut up in small pieces) to start eating on his own with his fingers. Hoped this helped you.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments