Child Nutrition Forum

best way to stall preschooler's weight gain

I'm looking to find out the best way to stall my youngest's weight so she doesn't gain more until her height catches up. Also wondering what daily calorie intake should be.
From your measurements her weight is above the 95th percentile and height is on the 90th percentile for her age. She is overweight, however, she has a tall stature. She needs approximately 750-850 calories a day. It is recommend increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. The longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, ‘junk’ foods and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt, fruit, and air popped popcorn, or low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits, salads, and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). Thank you for your question.

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments