Child Nutrition Forum

weight loss

HI, my daughter is 3 years old and weights in around 65lbs, she was diagnosed with lactose intolerance when she was younger but she has outgrown it so it seems.  We have gone to see a dieticican twice but with no help.  She dosnt constantly eat and she dosnt constantly eat crappy food, she has fruits/veggies/apple juice/water, she does love chicken nuggets and she is active she swims, and she is going into a week long sports group coming up.  I am just at a lost as how to help her with with weight.  She constantly has a stomache ache, head ache pains in her side that the drs just keep telling me its a viral infection but she seems to have this "virus" every two weeks.  any suggestions??

Madysmom
Her weight is above the 95th percentile for her age. Her weight is above the 95th percentile for her age. As a guideline for her age, she should eat approximately 1300 calories daily the following: Dairy 2 cups –Milk, cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese. Starch 4-5oz equivalents – Cereal, pasta, rice, bread, or crackers. Fruits & Vegetables 1.5 cups– Fruits (including 100% juice). Protein source, meat and beans 4-3 ozs – Meat or fish, egg, or beans; and discretionary calories 171to be used for any food group. She should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. It is not recommended to limit calorie restriction due to need for growth. Suggest not lowering fat content of foods both because her brain is still developing and needs the fat. You seem to know about increasing children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight; however, it needs to be constant basis. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Suggest after about 3 ½ years old or so you can start to cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines so that she is growing normally. Hoped that helped you.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments