Child Nutrition Forum

worried about weight

My granddaughter just had her 9 month checkup. At 13 lbs and 24" long she's only gained 1 lb and 1 inch since her 6 month check up. The doctor said she is only in the 1 percentile and ordered a complete abdomnal ultrasound which came out normal. She's very healthy. Has never spit up much at all, no reflux problems. She isn't crawling yet but has been sitting up well for a couple of months, is beginning to want to "climb" up everyone, over the arm of whatever chair your sitting in, etc. Loves to stand and hang on to whoever has her. Plays with objects, grasps well, tosses, reaches, beginng to turn pages of books, etc. Is beginng to really enjoy her exersaucer and just put her into a walker where she goes backwards so far. ...... She eats about 1/4 cup rice or oats with formula mixed in and a little stage 2 fruit for breakfast. Can get her to take about 4 oz formula a couple of times a day, but not much more.(I baby sit her during week.) Lunch is usually 1/2 to 3/4 jar each of two different veggies, sometimes veggie meat combo....The doc told her mother to keep her on stage 2 and begin introducing animal crackers, etc.      I began to wonder;.. she is still using slow flow nipples and I just got her fast flow which is more age appropriate. Will this get more formula in her and should I add cereal to it to help increase calories and get her weight up? Also I'm not too thrilled with the animal cracker suggestion because of the sugar and high frutose, etc. I instead got some of the little gerber arrowroot cookies and little puff and fruit rings. She has four teeth on top and two on bottom. Should I get her in a particular routine with her formula? I usually sit her down to play after breakfast till she gets tired and then give her a bottle, the same after lunch. I try to get her to take a bottle later before she gets picked up. Need more suggestions about what we can begin introducing her to so as to bring up her weight and growth. I'm very worried about her.
Both her weight and height are under the 3rd percentile for her age. As a guideline for a 9-12 month old child should eat the following: Breast-milk or Formula (6-8oz) 3-5 feedings a day, Dairy 1 serving a day – cheese (1/2 oz) or yogurt (1/2 cup). Starch 2 feedings a day – Infant Cereal (2-4 Tbsp), bread (1/2 slice), crackers (2), or pasta (3-4 Tbsp). Fruits or Vegetables 1-2 feedings a day – (3-4 Tbsp). Meat 2 feedings a day – 3-4 Tbsp) or beans (1/4 cup). Suggest staying with the formula you are using presently, and when she turns 12 months old use Pediasure in place of milk if her weight is still below or in the lower ranges of the growth chart. You can start to introduce ‘finger foods’ (regular food cut up in small pieces) and suggest using a ‘sippy’ cup at meals so she gets more formula. Hope this gives you an idea on what foods to feed her daily.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments