A
A
A
Close
Child hood mental abuse suffers Community
21 Members
1649224 tn?1304200175

Let me introduce myself...

Hello... I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place, but I couldn't figure out where else to write it.  I'm 60 years old and a grandmother.  All my childhood my step-father called me stupid, ugly, among other things, and compared me to my sister who was his first born, saying things like, "Too bad you're so ugly and not pretty like your sister.", and "Why can't you be smart like your sister?". Then when I was a teenager, he would call me "big nose" so much that I would sit in class with my face leaning on my hand in a way that it would cover my nose.  And to this day, I still feel stupid and ugly, even though I modeled for Sears when I was 16 and graduated from law school, even though I was 45 when I did and had to overcome my A.D.H.D. and dyslexia. It's good that there is a place where I can talk to others who have been through the same things.
1 Responses
1634959 tn?1308410002
Thank you so much for taking the time and having the courage to share your story with us. You definitely went through some things with that name calling. I HATED to go to school because I knew what awaited me when I got there, but to have this type of abuse at home...everyday? You are a champion for getting through it. Not only are you a champion, you are smart and beautiful. One thing I have to tell myself everyday is that it is one thing to have physical beauty but it is another thing to have a natural inner beauty. To me the latter is better. You should tell yourself that too. I am so proud that you didn't let your obstacles get in the way of your dreams of going to law school! You can vent/ talk here on this forum or message me anytime. Hope to hear from you soon.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.