Children - Special Needs Community
737 Members

Learning disability Please help

My son has had the same problem in school .He has a problem following instructions given in any form .His behavior is great but he does not comprehend simple instuction.Such as coping from the board or oral directions.I am having a hard time understanding why my son does not prosess info well.
how are his non verbal skills?does he take things literal or does he get the meaning of jokes and or expressions. have you ever had auditory processing test done on him? it is a disorder where you talk to him and his brain interprets things differently,other than what you intended, but he does hear what you say, , as well copying from school board, is his printing not what you'd expect for his age, copying notes, is he able to do it or does he leaves half of it out, math skills does he have issues with lining up math problems, organizational issues ? if you can answer yes to these questions, let me know...what age is he , just curious...
hi, it is better you check his attention and also the motor skills. sometimes these kind of problems are associated with attention and/ coordination problems. I suggest that an occupational therapist check your son.
He does skip lines when copying from the board.He has a hard time lining a math problem up.His spelling is great .But he simplyly is not processing following directions.I will ask him to repeat he will but does the opposite.H e will be tested but i'm worried about his school and being able to complete school work.Oraly he can answer problems but test in school are just the opposite.
it seems that he has a kind of attention deficit, I had a case line him and movement therapy , working on coordination and visual attention, made very good results in reading and following directions. OT is the best choice in my idea.
what i noticed with my son is that when he looks at the blackboard ,then as he looks down to write the notes, he only gets half of what was there...does your son get body language, does he seem to invade   personal space of other, and does this cause a problem with peers his age...lastly does your son takes things literal...nonverbal learning disability ( math disorder is part of this dx where he could understand the concept but can put the step by step on paper)it's on the rise and might be worth exploring however these kids generally read very well,and don't all have problems with spelling, sometimes they excell in some areas, problem is usually with comphrension unless given verbally, but some like my son can't read very well  and spelling is worse either....
You say your son has a LD. What is his disability (ADHD, Dysgraphia or APD?). Has he had an Full Education Evaluation ? How old is he? Is he on an IEP?  if so What kind of services is he receiving at school?  Does he have problems such as craps when writing. Does he form his letters correctly? When he writes does he leave enough space in between words? Does he also have problems staying on the lines? Is focusing and staying on task also a problem. Is he hyperactive. When you speak to him does it take him a bit long to answer? No one here can give you a clear answer why he doesn't process well until you can provide them more detail of what his disability is.

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments