Avatar universal

Ok it seems I have found somebody else like me on here

I see you have "invisible disabilities." I was not sure if I would ever find anybody like me.

I often wonder if legal insanity (the criminally insane mind) is also an "invisible disability" due to a non-working mind or a crazy mind. Well anything that is not related to being in your right mind - normal hearing, normal seeing, normal thought processes - I would consider a mental disability or a mental handicap of some sort. Like Dementia, Alzheimer's, Autism, Asperger's, and the list goes on and on.

You and I can relate.

What I did was visit Doctor Kiel (He is my mental health doctor) and he had some resources for the handicapped-disabled in his office - it was not a lot - but he had a pamphlet that said "Learning Disabilities - What every parent should know."

I took it and looked at it.

I guess by the time you are an adult they expect you to be independent, have a house, own a car etc etc - have a job - and nobody expects you probably grew up special. Or insane even.

The Americans with Disabilities Act says it is illegal to discriminate against anyone who has any kind of a disability, no matter how much it makes them look down upon us (as being weird, strange, etc). Somebody slapped me upside the head once for being an idiot.


Ok you were asking for help for your brain-related disability. As a likeminded person (or with no mind at all) - as best as I can think - I say this -- visit your psychologist and psychiatrist. Look through the phone book - do some hunting if you need help being self-supporting (and I am sure you do) look into adult family homes and group homes. You special kid you. Yes, special education is very good.

When my mind began to become worse, I did everything from contact my doctors to looking for special education teachers, to looking for transportation that helps the disabled, and any other community resource I could squeeze out for individuals that have no brains - as best as I could think. They told me that the mind is co complicated that scientists are still trying to understand everything about it - and what goes wrong with it.

It is true that brain doctors cannot correct your mind if there is something wrong with it. To improve a below-average mind, look for some brain-related medicines. I found some on the Internet. Type in some searches.

1. Disabled.
2. Disability
3. Brain Medicine

Etc etc etc...and so on and so forth.

I used to drive you know. But it was never my own car (I never owned one) it was the car my mom and dad owned. I stopped driving after I realized I had brain disorders.

I do need a lift every-so-often (I am assuming so do you). If you do not own a car (like me) - then public transportation has handicapped seating (interesting). Most drivers are trained to help people with special needs. When I used to ride #25 around places the drivers would help countless people in wheelchairs. The physically-handicapped are common. I saw a blind person once. I've only seen about three mentally-handicapped people. Mostly everyone else riding the bus though had nothing wrong with them, they were all sane people. So I had begun to wonder if a mental handicap was a rare thing.

Another option is privatized transportation - if you have a problem with taxis or the public transportation buses - or you are not sure that if entrusted to their care they would take care of you right - - for example, around my place there are two companies that come to your door and pick up the handicapped-disabled, they are called Golden Chariot, and besides C-Van (a part of C-Tran) I have Safety One Specialty Transport. For medical transport I have Noah Medical Transport. I would call for a Taxi (I have considered it) but I am not sure that they are skilled enough to transport the handicapped-disabled or people with special needs.

Also there is Ride-Share. You know, you pay people to come and pick you up and carry you around places.


Remember, we have abilities, not disabilities.

Try to find a company around where you live that makes their profits from transporting the handicapped-disabled around places. Where do you live? I am a citizen of Washington State. Clark College - my local college - said that they have a special education option for people who have handicaps (its mostly for the mentally handicapped) - but what the issue is is that they may expect you to keep up at the same studying pace as normal-brained people do. A special education program will allow you to study in a quiet space if your mind needs it. If you have a mind that is, somehow, slower than the minds of the other student in class you can have a special education tutor come to your house instead of attending college. Learning lessons in your house, especially on your own computer, I guess it would give you an at-your-own-pace learning style as opposed to the embarrassing fact that your "invisible disability" mind cannot keep up with the average minds of your classmates. Or even the brilliant. Around my place I found 4 special education teachers that are from Lake Oswego and Hillsboro.

I was just assuming you may need some help becoming independent, learning new things, getting around in your community, and getting a job, right (like me for instance)? Goodwill may help find jobs for the mentally handicapped. The Arc and Nami are two other organizations that help the handicapped and the disabled.

If you need somebody to look after you or to help take care of you, there is an arrangement where a person who is trained to take care of the elderly, the handicapped, or the disabled, will come over to your house and you pay them to lend you a hand with things (usually like bathing, washing, doing errands). There are also settings called Adult family Homes. There is also an option called Adult Day Care. Regular Day Care is for children. The Adult Day Care option usually takes care of old people, but there are a few homes out there that help the handicapped and the disabled who have lost some, or all, of their independence (no matter what age you are, if you fit into this category). If you are still a dependent (like me) there are rehabilitation programs that help vulnerable adults regain some of the independence that they have lost.

Barrack Obama says, "Yes we can."

Tell me if I have given you too many resources. Was this helpful?

This discussion is related to learning problems.
Read more
Follow - 1
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Post Answer
Children - Special Needs Community Resources