Children - Special Needs Community
737 Members

fuzzy head-ADD??

Hi my son is now 12 years old and has for the past year complaining of a `fuzzy head`, cannot concentrate, aches every day from head to toe, and generally appears unwell. There is little doubt he has aspergers and numerous health professionals have agreed but he is not diagnosed as his dad thinks it is unnecessary, i am very worried about him but i cannot get his doctor to listen to us all the gp says is `is he depressed?` my son says the only depressing thing is feeling constantly unwell!
During a visit to ENT the Audiologist said she thought he may have Auditory Processing Disorder but this does not usually cause the fuzzy head he has, he is very sensitive to smell and touch which would fit with Sensory Disorder but again nothing about feeling dizzy or fuzzy.
I have been reading everything i can find to try and help him and came across ADD suffers having problems concentrating and some saying of a foggy sensation so now i am thinking i do need to get him diagnosed as he needs help, so far the aspergers hasnt really been a problem as he copes well and school have been amazing, the auditory disorder i am trying to sort out as the Audiologist didnt put it in his notes and sensory wise i am working on but the lack of concentration and fuzzy/dizziness does need sorting out, does anyone have this feeling or does your child complain of this?
Does anyone think it could be related to ADD? School have rang me several times and he has been sent home every week since the beginning of term and i am at my wits end as to what to do.
I have insisted we see a Neurologist in the hope they can help him but as i said our gp is just not listening, to be fair we are there more than i thought i would ever be, but then how can he leave him in such a state, i am thinking i shoulld change dr but i cannot bare going through everything again,any thoughts or suggestions please.
Many thanks
Ok so today we had it confirmed...a classic case of Aspergers apparently a fuzzy head is not uncommon in teenagers with AS and can be related to migraines or anxiety.
Hi Ktf!

I wanted to say, my son's Early Intervention Therapist (for Down syndrome) has a daughter who was diagnosed ADHD, and also my 11 yr old step daughter has also ADHD.  The thing that stuck out at me was your son's defining symptom of "fuzziness".  This struck me immediately because that is exactly how my EI (also my personal friend named Jenn) 's daughter describes how she feels when she hasn't taken her medication.  She went for years without medications, and they had tried everything - Jenn didn't believe in medicating her daughter, but once she finally did, everything was 100% better, and the Fuzzy/foggy feeling went away.  If she misses a dose, that fuzzy/foggy feeling returns with a vengeance and the teachers at her school notice immediately.  It is interesting also because she now does amazingly well in school specifically with concentration and development overall.
I did read your follow-up post, but I thought I would mention this to you, and I am not sure if it is worth doing anything further since they said that Aspergers also has the same characteristic.  (My husband's cousin's son (sorry) was also diagnosed recently with Aspergers so there too we notice so many similarities to ADD.
I hope that they are able to help your son, and relieve his symptoms.  I know how hard it can be for our children to describe things that make it hard for them to function the way they want to and not to feel frustrated.

I hope also I haven't added to the confusion!

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Hi.  My son has sensory integration disorder . . . and has said that exact same phrase!!  He has used "fuzzy head".  He is 6 years old.  He uses it when his brain is "disorganized".  I describe it like this---------------  your brain has many flood gates that hold things back so that you can concentrate and think and complete something.  If the nervous system is not regulated, the flood gates will all life and the brain becomes very disorganized (fuzzy head).  

Many kids with aspergers have comorbid sensory issues or a child can have sensory on its own.  An occupational therapist treats for it and my son has been attending OT for 2 years now.  I can't even tell you how much it has helped!

The idea to keep the nervous system regulated is something that the occupational therapy world calls "heavy work".  Here is a list of things that helps regulate the nervous system:
jumping on a trampoline (regular, mini or mattress on the floor)
rock climbing (indoor wall counts or even a playset at a park)
hanging from monkey bars or chin up bar (and doing the chin ups is good)
drinking a thick liquid through a straw (thick smoothie, milk shake, apple sauce)
chewing a thick piece of bubble gum
Carrying a bag that is weighted down with books across the house (phrase it like "can ******  you help me out son?)
jogging on hard pavement
Swimming (awesome and almost perfect exercise for the nervous system as it involves both****  muscle work, resistance and deep pressure)
push ups (on floor, wall or chair)
beating the heck out of a punching bag
sports such as soccer, football or wrestling
animal walks------- (especially crab, bear and leap frog)
Any weight bearing exercise
pushing a vacuum cleaner
moving a piece of furniture for you

My son has auditory processing and tactile defensiveness.  An occupational therapist has been very valuable for those.  He has sensory issues in other areas.  Everything from his peer interaction to his school work to his "fuzzy head" are much better through ot.  good luck
Hi there,
Fantastic ideas thank you so much, i am going to test some out whilst we await an OT i really am hoping they will be able to help him, our lives are consumed by the misery he is feeling, i will try almost anything...
He has his drinks with straws most of the time and he did say he felt better after a thick milkshake, i would never have thought something like that could help!
My first suspicion when you described the symptoms was also migraines. I began getting them at the same age, and one of the first noticable symptoms was dizziness, then cloudy vision, and sensitivity to light. When I got my first migraine I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, since it was unlike a headache or anything I had ever experienced before. They began happening pretty regularly and would distract me from my schoolwork. ( I actually used to spend most of the time lying in the nurse's office). Then, after my growth spurt and puberty set in, I didn't get another migraine until I was about 17 years old.
I would first try aspirin or ibuprophen, before presuming anything too major. Migraines can have very crippling and diverse symptoms (depending on the person) and can be very overwhelming for a child who may not know what is going on. Hopefully it's nothing serious and all is well!
Well it turns out that it is related to ADHD now under going a very slow process of formal diagnosis in the hope we can do something to help him, thank you for your responses.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments