Children Who follow daily routine in school but can't follow daily routine at home.

My child is being evaluated for special needs.  I feel that she has a sensory disorder problem and maybe even has pdd-nos.  My question is this:  Is it possible for a child to follow a daily routine in pre-school setting and be able to process what is going on there by visualizing it but still have a lot of difficulties processing the daily routine of the home and have temper tantrum after temper tantrum because she can't process what is being asked of her??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Our occupational therapist told us that it is not uncommon for a child with sensory integration (as my son has) to "hold it together" at school and then melt down afterwards at home.  An aware child may be doing their very best at school and then just can't take it any longer and lose it in their safe place.  Good luck
Helpful - 0
Visit school and see how it is organized. Could be anything - from lighting to wall colors. The calmer, the better:)

Good luck
Helpful - 0
Possibly the teachers have a cooler ,calmer way of going about it, check out what triggers the tantrums could it be the way you are handling her needs.need some adjusting, we are closer maybe thats the thing.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Children - Special Needs Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments