2 yr old horrible hacking cough please help

My 2 yr old has allergies really bad and eczema. She is on Zyrtec and everytime she gets sick and sometimes when she isnt sick she get this horrible dry hacking cough. ABout every 2-3 months. Its worse at night so bad she couchs all night in her sleep when she does sleep and it lasts for weeks. Ive tried every couch medicine benadryll motrin everything, The doctors think she may be getting asthma so they gave me an inhaler with a chamber its albutrin or something but it doesnt seem to work at all. I really really would love any advice on how I can help my baby sleep. And calm her cough. I have another dr appt coming up in a few weeks but I just feel horrible everytime I hear her cough. Thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
my daughter is going through the EXACT same thing i will b watching for answers and best of luck to you and baby
Helpful - 0
Both of my children were like that until I gave them their "breathing treatments" exactly twice a day (as prescribed) consistently - even when they are well for their Pulmicort. They also gave us xopanex 4 x per day when they are ill or having an episode.  It takes a while for it to start working and it's hard to stay on top of...they also gave my daughter singulair for a while.  Oh yeah, and we had to start holding my daughter's face mask up against her face because she lost a lot of medicine from doing "blow by's" with the mask not touching her face.   She hates the nebulizer!  Good luck!  Hope you all get some sleep soon!

One other thing, might there be a trigger in her bedroom?  Like dust mites, pet dander, or something?  Just a thought....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Children's Allergies Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.