Allergy Shot side effects

My 11 yr. old daughter is allergic to dog and cat dander so she gets allergy shots. She started these at the end of the fall this year. Her allergy symptoms are more like fatigue and swelling around the eyes more than anything. But last week they accidentally gave her 2 shots (twice the amount). The next day she was extremely exhausted more than normal, had muscle fatigue and her knee joints began to ache. By the next day her ankles ached in the morning as well. Her allergist didn't think the double dose of shots was to blame and had her tested for juv. arthritus. It came back negative.

Has anyone heard of symptoms like this from allergy shots or too much of the shots. It seems to make sense to me that if you're given twice the amount of something you're allergic to- that you body may react kind of haywire.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This could very well be a malpractice case and the doctor is trying to cover their own practices behind by saying this isn't a side effect. Of course it could very well be but their not going to tell you its there fault they know how costly this could be. I would immediately find her another doctor and notify them of what happened with the last one. Because of this kind of incident you could even have the specialists office that gave her the injection refer you to another specialist. It wouldn't matter if this has been your doctor of choice for years or if they were recommended by a friend I would no longer see them.
Good luck to you and hopefully she begins to feel better ;))
Helpful - 0
Thank you :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Children's Allergies Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.