Children's Allergies Community
447 Members

Cannot understand the cause of allergy

My 4 year old is sneezing and coughing a lot during his sleep. His is okay when he is playing around but when he sleeps at night he is having issues. The first doctor we took him to suggested us to change the mattress and check if there is any  difference. We bought a a bamboo mattress for him ( http://www.surplusfurniture.com/en/moncton/mattresses/health-protectors/bamboo-mattress-health-protector/ ) but there wasn't any difference. Looks like it's not dust allergy. So we are planning to visit the doctor again tomorrow. I am really tensed about this, what can be the other causes for this continuous coughing and sneezing?
Hi -

Have you changed his pillow? I have to change my pillow every 4-6 months, or the dust that builds up gives me bad headaches, watery eyes and congestion. I buy hypo-allergenic pillows (which are just a few dollars more than the regular ones), and allergy covers for them (which can be washed).

Don't forget to wash any stuffed animals regularly, too, as well as change the filters in the air conditioner and dust his room.

Allergy testing is a good idea, too.

I hope he feels better!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.