Children's Allergies Community
451 Members

Milk Allergy? Lactose Intollerant?

I recently stopped breastfeeding my 12 month old, and tried to switch her to whole milk.  Now, I know all pediatricians recommend weaning from the bottle by 12 months, but my situation was that my baby wouldn't allow a bottle anywhere near her mouth until she realized she wasn't going to be nursing anymore, and now she sleeps snuggling her bottle because she loves it so much.  So.... that's going to be the next thing we deal with, but for right now, I think she needs it.  Anyway, the point is that she never experienced any negative side effects from drinking milk or eating products containing whole milk before.... but when she started drinking 2-3 entire bottles of whole milk each day, she developed a horrible diaper rash that kept getting worse and worse no matter what I did.  (She isn't prone to diaper rashes at all, so this was strange to me....) I spoke to a nutrionist, who said it could either be that she just isn't ready for whole milk, or that she may be allergic to milk, and advised me to try Lactaid instead.  I started out with some Next-Step formula for a few days, then switched to the Lactaid, and her rash is not getting any worse and is starting to clear up.  My question is: If she were allergic to milk, wouldn't she have exhibited some type of reaction before? Or could she have just a mild allergy that only acts up if she has a LOT of milk?  Noone else in my family has had this problem, so I'm very confused.... I wish I had an explanation, and it would be nice to know if she will be able to switch to regular milk at some point, or if she needs to drink Lactaid for her whole childhood.  It would also be nice to know if I it's ok to use regular milk when I'm cooking, or if it's still ok for her to have other dairy products..... I have no idea, and it's sort-of frustrating!
Hi i hope i will be able to help - i was breastfeeding my daughter for about 6 months when she had continuous blood in her  stools history of constant snotty nose and wet chest.  Was referred to a Pediatrician and he diagnosed Milk cow protein allergy.  No one ells has this in the family- she was put on Neonate a formula milk for milk allergy kids.

The way the Pediatrician explained it is that there is 3 ways of them reacting, Severe allergy - immediate rash and difficulty breathing, then the stomach upset snotty nose, wet chest scenario - or the odd rash.

Some formula's has the cow milk protein broken down so the babies body don't recognize it and don't respond to it.   Also when milk is cooked or in yogurt, hard cheese - most of the protein can be broken down in the process of them making it, and also baby will not respond, but give this same child normal milk and there will be symptoms.  

The good news is that as she gets older she will be able to tolerate milk better.  My daughter is 2 and a half now still on neonate formula  - and yes still likes to hold on to her bottle at night.  She can still not tolerate cow milk, i have tried hard cheese like cheddar and Colby and she is doing very well - absolutely love her cheese.  Yogurt she cannot tolerate more than one or 2 cups a week then she has severe diarrhea and other symptoms but at least she is starting to tolerate it and its looking good.   Best would be to see how your child respond to cheese and yogurt and for now keep her on that then slowly after a while try and introduce normal milk again and see how she responds.  Otherwise try and use A2 milk it is from genetically modified milk from cow's that has less or no cow milk protein so people with milk allergy or other allergy and asthma symptoms tend to respond better on A2 milk than normal milk.

Hope this help and hope you can find a solution that will help
just to add my daughter was picking up cow milk protein through my breast milk at 6 months and reacting to that which is only about 3 % i think.  I have a thyroid condition and could not go on soy products that's why she went on neocate
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.