Chlamydia Community

False Positive/Negative?

My boyfriend and I had been together about four months when I found out he had cheated about two months in. We stayed together and worked through it, and a few months after I first found out I went in for my checkup. I believe they run a GC culture from a separate swab taken during the pap. My gyno's assistant called a week later and had me come in, told me I had chlamydia, and wrote a script. I took the 1x antibiotic and gave my boyfriend hell, and the next day we went to the free clinic together to get a full panel of testing done. I didn't retake the GC since I'd already gotten those results and taken the treatment. My boyfriend's tests all came back negative, but he took the treatment since he'd been exposed. I went back in a couple weeks later to my gyno to have the culture redone and the results were negative.

It's over a year and a half later, and I'm in the same situation: Annual pap included GC testing, popped positive for chlamydia. I've decided that this time I'm going to the clinic and doing the full round of testing before I take the antibiotic (I'll take it that night), just to double-check, and my now sort-of-ex-boyfriend is going as well. He swears up and down that he didn't do anything that would have made him re-contract chlamydia, but I can't say I believe him. Still, two false positives in a row isn't possible, is it? I should add here that during my most recent exam my gyno mentioned I had some kind of bacterial infection and prescribed a gel. I don't believe we waited the full two weeks before having sex again the first time around, so could that be it? How did my boyfriend test negative and I positive that first time?

The other issue is, I've had some problems with my gyno's office before. Just last week I got a frantic call from the assistant telling me to immediately stop taking Yaz and get my blood redrawn that day, b/c my potassium was a heart attack-inducing 7. I've been going to a hematologist for another issue for months and had just seen him the week prior, so I was skeptical and sure enough, the results from my hematologist was a very normal 4, so my gyno says it must be lab error or an issue with the sample clotting or both. Last year my first pap came back as unreadable, so I went in again. Unreadable again. I had to go back in a third time and do the more invasive colposcopy to get results. Given all that's been going on, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's an issue with my doctor's office mishandling samples, or it's something with me. I haven't gotten the pap results back yet from the most recent visit.

What the heck is going on? Even if my boyfriend had been unfaithful again, it still doesn't really explain how he tested negative. I know people will say it's unlikely, but if he tests negative again, what could possibly be happening? I'm really confused...
I think you should seek a second opinion.  Try a different gynecologist.  You are entitled to a second opinion.  Then go from there.
Update: I received my results this morning from my second round of testing and I again tested positive for chlamydia. For the second time, my partner tested negative. I am at a loss for how this is possible since it's happened twice in a row, and I have absolutely never strayed. I figured it was possible we had had sex too soon after the first treatment and reinfected one another, but for me to test positive and him negative a second time seems very strange. Is it possible that he's had false negatives both times? Or it just lays dormant with him for some reason?
It sounds like you are being reinfected. As for the other issues : unreadable pap smears can be caused by collection problems but may be caused by overgrowth of BV, a type of vaginosis. Some cyto techs that read these will report out unreadable, although the supervising pathologist is supposed to overread these. Yes, you may want a second GYN to recheck things. Also, to be sure about the Chlamydia diagnosis, ask for the PCR or Chlamydia culture test. You shouldn`t have false positives with these.
If it was me, I would be having serious trust issues right now.  I would be going with him to make sure he is getting tested and treated.  If you are not cheating, then where is it coming from?  You cannot get chlamydia from toilets.  You have to think about your health.  Getting chlamydia over an over will eventually make you antibiotic resistant. And also could possibly cause worse problems faster.  
I'm in the same boat, except I'm the guy and the people who tested positive are two totally different women. Both swore up and down that they had been faithful. Knowing I had not been with anyone else, I went in and took the tests and came back negative both times. Both women in my case were pregnant.
I know people tend to jump the gun and point fingers at the men, but I believe its the testing and other factors. I went back both times and showed my partners the official test results. I strongly believe that there is something wrong with the testing or that there is are other factors that are not being considered when tested. Do not go on a test, which can be faulty in some way, to determine what direction you take your relationship. Go see a specialist and get a more thorough examination.
That's the problem: I've been with him both times that he's gotten tested and treated. It's not a situation where he just says he went to get tested and I don't actually know if he even bothered to step into a clinic. We've gotten tested together both times, and both times he's been negative. If anything he could think I was lying about not cheating, but I know for certain that I haven't. It seems most likely that we reinfected one another a year and a half ago and have just been passing it back and forth, but the results still don't make any sense.
Thanks for the information. Do you know what the likelihood is for the urine test to give men a false negative?
When you went in for testing, what type of test did you take? The first time my partner had the penis swab, the second the urine test. I assume the former is supposed to be more accurate, yet it still makes not a lick of sense that he's been negative both times.
Urine NAAT tests do have a false positive rate..about 2 to 3 % if not correctly collected. Their specificity is excellent.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.