Pain after treatment for Chlamydia

I was diagnosed with chlamydia approximately 3 weeks ago. I had no symptoms but would have contracted it quite recently. I was treated with four Zithromax pills taken at one time. All other test results came back negative. About four days after taking the Zithromax, I noticed a slight burning pain deep inside my vagina, possibly at my cervix. I thought it was a yeast infection, so the doctor called in Diflucan, which I took. It didn't help at all. I went back to the doctor who swabbed me yet again. This time I asked her to check for HSV (herpes) as well (a blood test earlier had come back negative, but knowing the unreliability with new infections, I thought I'd get swabbed) The swab came back negative for bacteria, chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, etc. Later that week, the burning got SEVERE and almost unbearable. I went back in, thinking perhaps the previous swab had missed something. Again, all results were negative. I'm still having some severe burning pain which seems to be cervical, as well as some white discharge (mildly acidic smelling), lower abdominal pain, and a low-grade fever.

Is it possible I could have developed PID from the chlamydia? And would that mean the chlamydial infection is still there but has moved deeper inside my body? My doctor seems to behave as though I'm being neurotic, but something is definitely wrong and I want to know what it is.
I doubt that it is PID, maybe yeast from the sounds of it. All I can advise is to follow up with your Dr.
Well PID comes to my mind from what you describe. But that would mean you had it longer than you think. Maybe you should seek a second opinion.
I definitely had contracted the chlamydia within the last two months as I had been in a mutually monogamous relationship for 17 years up until two months ago. I had also recently had a vaginal ultrasound that only showed a cyst on my ovary. I'm going in Monday for another vaginal ultrasound, which I hope will show something. In the meantime, I started taking 500mg of metronidazole twice a day. Another question I have is...can I transmit anything to my partner? All of my many subsequent swabs have tested negative, but I'm paranoid to have sex now.
If you are testing negative then I would not worry about a STD. But you might want to have current partner tested if he has not done so and use condoms if you are concerned.

If your infection was from the past 2 months then PID from chlamydia would not happen. You can get PID from non-STD means. So I doubted PID from chlamydia from the time frame, but guess you can't completely discount it.
Yes, PID can be caused by other infections that are not std related.  I really think you should seek a second opinion. Another doctor may find something that this one has not thought of. And I'm talking non std related because negative testing is pretty reliable.
Thank you for your posts! I went in for a pelvic ultrasound yesterday, which should pick up any infections I might have. Just for "fun", I started taking the metronidazole, as mentioned above, and that seems to have really helped the symptoms a lot.

You are reading content posted in the Chlamydia Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.