how long before chlamydia symptoms show

I was diagnosed with chlamydia in Oct 2003. The blood test showed IgG negative and IgM positive - does that indicate a recent infection? For about 6 months before that I had bleeding after sex, abdominal pain, and recurrent UTIs. I have been with the same partner since 2000 and we always have unprotected sex. Before 2000, I had unprotected sex with a few different partners, but did not experience any symptoms associated with chlamydia.

Is it possible that I had chamlydia from before 2000 and the symptoms only showed up in 2003? Or would the infection have to be pretty recent to the time the symptoms show up.

Would be grateful for your medical opinion. Thank you
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
never use a blood test to diagnose Chlamydia. You need a cervical or urinary test. I suggest retesting with the appropriate test.
Helpful - 0
I had cervical swab tests done at that time too. one was negative and the next one positive. I've read your previous posts where you said that chlamydia doesnt have a dormant phase. Does it mean that if I experienced symptoms in mid 2003 that I must have gotten infected a few months before that? It would not be possible for my chlamydia to be asymptomatic and suddenly flare up right? Considering that it caused pretty bad PID in the end, my fallopian tubes are now blocked because of chlamydia.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chlamydia Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.