medicine

I found out I have chlamydia and the medicine the doc gave me is ciprofloxacin 500 mg. I take two a day for 20 days is this a normal practice, it seems an awful long time to take medicine, when I have seen medicine that you take as a single dose. Thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there -

For chlamydia, this is the wrong treatment.  There are no chlamydial infections or complications that the CDC recommends 20 days of cipro for.

If you were having normal symptoms (maybe some burning, discharge), then the one-time dose is fine.  If you were having different symptoms, the treatments are different, but cipro still isn't recommended for any chlamydial infections.

I would call the doc back and ask him why he prescribed this.  Not only does 20 days seem unnecessary, it won't cure your chlamydia.

Have him refer to the CDC STD treatment guidelines if he needs to.  He can find it here - http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/default.htm

AJ
Helpful - 0
Now I'am really concerned, I talked to the doc this morning about this medicine. He has informed me that this will kill the bacteria in me. I ask him if he was postitive and he said yes.
Helpful - 0
Tell him the CDC says no.  Tell him to check his PDR, and the CDC.

Were you having any strange symptoms that might make him think something else is going on?

Here is the paragraph from the treatment guidelines for a simple chlamydia infection -

Recommended Regimens

Azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose
Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice a day for 7 days

Alternative Regimens

Erythromycin base 500 mg orally four times a day for 7 days
Erythromycin ethylsuccinate 800 mg orally four times a day for 7 days
Ofloxacin 300 mg orally twice a day for 7 days
Levofloxacin 500 mg orally once daily for 7 days

(that's at http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/urethritis-and-cervicitis.htm#uc4)

Did you have a chlamydia test that came back positive, or is he treating based on symptoms?

AJ
Helpful - 0
I had gone in with a prostate problem and he tested for chlamydia it came back postitive, he prescribed cipro. I thought this medicine would work. I came online and found out this is the wrong medicine. I called the doc and told him what I knew, his atitude was I'am the doctor and I guarantee this will work. He said take the medicine for 3-weeks and then get retested and you'll see. I'am really pissed at his atitude.
Helpful - 0
Please answer
Helpful - 0
I answered in your other thread.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chlamydia Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.