Aa
A
A
Close
5536886 tn?1455830946
Are you on HDL raising drugs?
I'm not sure about you, but I've been so confused on the 'good' and 'bad' cholesterol information- I understand the blood test results with them, but as far as which drugs to take and why a doctor prescribes them, in addition to what we should be eating- it all kinda jumbles up.  

It turns out, a recent study was done on HDL raising drugs- the drugs that are supposed to raise good cholesterol.  They found that, in the end, it doesn't do much to lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.  The doctor being interviewed stated that it's really much more important to simply make healthy choices.  

Here's a link to the Washington Post article-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-good-cholesterol-still-matter/2017/05/26/d6926a8a-0e69-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?utm_term=.37e9dd6db27e

Are you on HDL raising drugs?  What do you think about the new findings?  
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
159619 tn?1499916784
These are not new findings, it has been widely known that HDL particles created with Niacin are larger, less dense particles that do not bind with LDL as well as naturally created HDL particles. The best way to create natural HDL is still with exercise.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
5536886 tn?1455830946
Good to know- do you know why these drugs are prescribed if they know they don't accomplish the goal of lowering your risk?  Are there other advantages to taking them?
Comment
Cancel
Tbd
tpbellMDExternal User
Increasing HDL is not shown to decrease heart attacks or strokes. American College of Cardiology dropped it and fish oil recommnendations.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Tbd
External User
nno
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Tbd
External User
it is best to keep cholesterol down
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Tbd
External User
make healthy choices
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Cholesterol Community Resources
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1499916784
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
5536886 tn?1455830946
Blank