Good LDL/Bad HDL?

Got bloodwork up in August LDL fine HDL at 31. Did another work up last week, LDL fine HDL at 30, too low!  My doc says to lose weight & exercise but mind you, my reason for visit was a confusing/scary weight loss without effort (loss 40 lbs in 2 months lying in bed with no exercise).  She had to reevaluate her plan to take 2000mg of fish oil a day but I'm just not sure i don't trust medication these days.  I've also developed anxiety about clogged arteries or heart valve damage fatty liver etc & I refuse 2 eat anything that says cholesterol or trans fat or much saturated fat!  Am I over thinking or is this something that is really bad?  When researched I don't understand how my LDL is good but HDL bad plus I don't eat red meat nor oil (EV olive oil rarely) no junk only fruits & rare grilled chicken
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree with flycaster. You have some underlying condition causing you to lose that much weight that fast without trying. If I were in your situation I would pursue the reason for the unintended weight loss.
Helpful - 0
I'm no longer bedridden thank God but exercise causes my chest to tighten up really bad (awaiting stress test & ECG results) I do some movements try to walk which causes issues with carpel tunnel & tarsal tunnel that I just found I out about in both hands & feet! I'm just a mystery I tell yah & all of theses things just started happening one after another recently
Helpful - 0
You have left room for a lot of questions... why are you bedridden?  Can you exercise?  Losing 38 pounds in two months while bedridden suggests that you have serious eating disorder, a serious illness or other situation that is compromising your health. Olive and Canola oil are very good for you, as is Fish oil, they can help raise HDLs.  Also, the best way to raise your hdl is exercise, about 30 minutes of aerobics a day.  If you are indeed bedridden, I'd suggest you contact a dietician to talk to you, and also find a way to exercise while in bed.  
I do  think you may be overthinking, as you suggest. If you are worried about  your cholesterol levels, etc., simply ask for blood tests every 90 days. Keep us informed
Helpful - 0
But if my LDL Is fine, shouldn't that help with a good HDL? As a matter of fact my total cholesterol is great, as my doctor says! Then she will come around and say that i just need to work on increasing my HDL because the target for females is 60+ then the next time I question it she says done people just have low HDL levels its fine as long as my triglycerides & LDL levels are ok. Yikes I'm confused!
Helpful - 0
low ldl renders hdl levels moot.
Helpful - 0
Forgot to mention I'm 30 yrs old, 5'6 160 lbs (down from originally 242 lbs 2yrs ago & down from 198 two months ago).
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cholesterol Community