Cholesterol Community
436 Members

How can I lower my triglycerides??????

Ok, I just had a re-check of my cholesterol and my total cholesterol is down but my triglycerides are up (259?)!!!! My doctor wants to re check in three months to see how my level are to see if I need medication but wants to give me some time first.  How do you get your triglycerides down?????  What can I do????  I don't want to have to take a statin drug!!!!

Thanks for any advice!!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
First off, a statin is not prescribed for high TGLs, they don't affect that type of fat in the blood. TGLs are from empty carbs like breads, sugars, pasta and alcohol, things that the body metabolizes as sugar. Eliminate these and you'll get your TGLs down.

Jon
Fish oil is quite effective for lowering triglycerides.  In fact, there's a prescription fish oil called Lovaza, specifically prescribed for lowering high TG's.  If you're not already taking it, you should try that; there are many OTC fish oil supplements you can try.  Good luck to you!
tpbellMDExternal User
No longer recommended unless trig over 400.
Tbd
External User
I need to lower my empty carb intake and take fish oil.
Tbd
External User
Do not eat empty carbs and take fish oil.
Tbd
External User
Statins have very little effect on triglycerides. The BANG for the buck is LDL less than 100.
Tbd
External User
so what is the beat way to lower trigycerides
Tbd
External User
eat a few cabers or take fish oil
Tbd
External User
eat  a few carbs and take fish oil