Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria Community
66 Members

Chronic Hives question

Around April of this year I began getting hives on my chest and arms very randomly.  It started occurring around once or twice a week.  Then, as time went on, around may, I began waking up every morning with hives on my knees and legs, usually staying on the lower half of my body.  End of may I woke up with a swollen bottom lip and went to see my allergist that day.  I had an allergy skin test done and found that I had severe reactions (hives) to ALL grasses and the majority of all weeds and tree pollens.  My hives began to progress to constant/severe around the beginning of June and lasted until my last taper with prednisone, which I started on June 20th.  I was on this round of prednisone for 2 weeks, so I stopped taking it on July 4th.  I was completely hive free after that!  Until this last week, I began getting random hives, only one or two a couple times a week.  Then, three nights ago I woke up at two in the morning with more pronounced hives on the lower half of my body.  Now, today, I woke up with 3 little hives on my knees (kind of how it started in the beginning of all this).  I found it interesting that my hives were at their worst during the height of grass pollen season then went away after the major grass pollen time was over.  I should also mention that I live in Portland, Oregon which has been the highest pollen state this year and this was a record breaking grass pollen season.  I am just trying to connect the dots, because I know chronic urticarial is rarely caused by pollens, but the timetable of my hives was very in sync with the grass pollen season.  I am worried that the hives are coming back now after a month without them!  So, I had hives for around 2 months, then they completely went away for a month, and now they are (possibly) slowly coming back, but this is also when weed pollens are beginning to start and based on my allergy test, of the 13 weed pollens, I am allergic to 11.  (not allergic to hemp or dock sorrel).  Could still be just allergies? or am I just giving myself false hope because I am afraid of it lasting longer than just pollen allergies?
what about detergent I know my rashes are worse when I use a regular detergent so I have changed to free and clear stuff.Now I still get some but not as much as I did ...
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions