Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Community
329 Members

13 y/o old westie with CKF

Hi Tony,
Thank you for this wonderful support group! My little girl was diagnosed with CKF a month ago. Aside from doing everything I can to help her - I'm also trying to find out as much as possible about this horrible disease so that I can understand its progress and how to be there for my little girl. We are now on sub Q 2x a day (200 ml in the morning and 200 ml in the evening) and since she is not at all interested in eating renal food, I am feeding her with a syringe (I mix Renal food with some yogurt) so I feed her 3-4 times a day. I also feed her baby food as my vet said they're low in phosphorus and protein which is good. So far, we're managing, she hasn't lost any weight in the last week so we're taking it by day. She's also on heart medication but I think for now we're doing OK. I know for a fact that once I stop with Sub Q fluids every day - she will get much worse as we've tried this for a week and her blood tests were absolutetly horrible....  My question is - how long can she live like this? She is terrified of needles so I feel horrible every time I need to put her on IV but this is what keeps her going! I'm not sure how much longer she can stand this and how long in general can dogs be on IV 2 x a day because of the skin and everything else? I know there is nothing I can do to cure her and that CKF is a horrible disease... I know I will have to make the decision about letting her go when the time comes because I do not want her to suffer but I also know that time hasn't come yet... She will tell me when it's time for her to go and I must help her! I was just trying to research about IV and how long dogs can handle this? THANK YOU! Nina
Hi and welcome to our family of friends here at the User Group. Dogs are actually great at coping with SubQ fluids ... but owners rarely are, and it's the anxiety of owners that transfers to a dog. So, the answer here is to make sure you stay relaxed and calm when preparing for and giving the fluids. Make it a routine, just like any other task you might perform during the day or evening. If blood numbers start improving, talk to your vet about giving once a day or even every alternate day.

I'm curious about the blood results you might have. Can you post the last set of results for me please. If you don't have them, please ask your vet for a copy. Also, do you know if an SDM<A test was undertaken? Also, have you had a urinalysis done for specific gravity and protein leakage? And, did your vet undertake a blood pressure check?

I can answer some of your other questions and concerns after I have access to the blood numbers.

When the vet diagnosed kidney disease, did he/she suggest the stage the disease has reached? This impacts on the type of foods being given.

How long can a dog last with kidney disease is impossible to answer. Every dog is different and so much depends on how much damage has been caused to the kidneys. While early diagnosis, good management and prompt diet changes all help prolong life and improve quality of life, the disease can only ever be stalled and will eventually continue to impact on health. I have known dogs survive for 2 years, but there are those that decline rapidly and don't even survive a few days. As I said, every dog and every case of this dreadful disease is different.

I am including a link to one of my articles below, which is a good starting point on the learning curve. Let me know once you have read it and ask any questions you may have, then I will send you a link to another one that I think will prove helpful.

Tony

http://www.infobarrel.com/My_10-Point_Plan_for_Dogs_with_Kidney_Failure
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.