Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Community
337 Members

Antacids

I have recently spent some time looking into the functioning of different antacids. After some considerable amount of reading, I have come to the conclusion that one of the best of this group of medications is Prilosec (omeprazole). I did once give this drug a poor rating, but recent evidence suggests it's actually proving to be one of the safest and most effective. As with all meds, there are potential side effects and a specific contra-indication when liver failure is evident, but other than that, I have no hesitation in recommending it for CKF dogs.
Hi Tony, I personally used the following about a year ago, as prescribed by a Doctor. Found that it was RAPID and LONG LASTING and 100% effective. Haven't done any research or asked a Vet. All I know is, that it is EFFECTIVE and long lasting.

The chemical name(s)::  'ONDANSETRON ODT'...4mg
                                                      or
                                        'ZOFRAN ODT'....4mg (Mfg.- SANDOZ)

It goes without saying that, with CKD, while you are trying to get the stomach under control,the intestinal tract must be working/flushing with probiotics and sources of fiber.

When I get time I'll look at this, but, the main thing....'It Works' under the harshest of environments.....'IN HUMANS'.

Earl

Hi Earl. One of the great problems with dogs, that we often forget, is their digestive metabolism is much faster than our own. Unfortunately, that means that what works on humans doesn't always work (and can in fact sometimes cause harm) for dogs.

All that said, ONDANSETRON (Zofran) is safe for dogs and as an antiemetic works pretty well in most cases. It is interestingly recommended by IRIS, the International Renal Interest Society for stages 3 & 4 CKF in dogs.

Tony
Do you have a source where I could read more about giving these meds to my dog instead of "cerenia". It costs me ~$20 for 4 pills. And she takes 1 pill a day.
Thanks.
Just Google ONDANSETRON (Zofran) for Dogs, and you'll find lots of info about it. Be aware that like most antiemetics and antacids, not all meds work on all dogs, so once you have found something that works its worth sticking with it. Zofran tends to be reasonably priced, so it may be worth giving it a try from that point of view.

Tony
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.