Update: I got a new blood work panel. His BUN has increased to 258, Creatinine 2.9, Phos 5.0
He was dehydrated so they gave him Sub Q fluids yesterday at 3 pm and he has not drank water since. I syringed him 10 ml of water last night.
He is still not eating. I find it odd that he is fine when I syringe feed him KD Original with water and phos binder, but when he free feeds with KD Stew and phos binder, he throws up a few hours later (I see the stew contents). His phos levels are normal but I was told to give him the phos binder as a precautionary.
Vet recommends IV fluids next. Says his high BUN may be due to his dehydration and me feeding him boiled chicken once a day for the last few weeks. Also told his heart sounds strong, less murmur, so told to stop pimobendan and enalapril.
Precision PSL level high, 794 (normal range 24-140) so thought he may have pancreatitis.
He recommends IV fluids and ultrasound...
Hello there. I know how hard is to deal with that disease. On Valentine's Day I lost my baby Lili, she was also a Yorkie. She was 12 and was diognosed with chronic kidney disease 10 months ago and now she is gone. I miss her a lot but I couldn't save her.
You can read my stories and questions here on blog. It might be helpful for you?
Please remember that we are here to listen you.
I know exactly how you feel. I have spent so much $$ on my Yorkie Poo in the last couple of months, but honestly I would not stop fighting until you feel it's time. 2000 dollars for IV??? That seems like an extremely high price for three days of IV. Would you be open to trying another Vet for the IV Fluids?
My Yorkie Poo stayed in the hospital for three days on IV and his numbers went down and he was so much better after that. I went up there one day and force fed him on my own. Can you do that for your dog while he is at the Vet? My bill was 530.00 when I picked him up.
Also, I don't know exactly what you are giving your dog, but I give Dior a Pepcid, Dr Harvey CO Q10, B 50 Complex, Sub Q Fluids every other day, and I feed him Royal Canin Renal Support, and a cerenia when he is nausea. I also go to Whole Foods and get fresh water. I am currently using Epakitin Supplement. I did Aluminum Hydroxide last month.
Hope that helps!! =)
Thank you everyone. Pepsi has responded positively to the new meds and SubQ. He no longer vomits, and now eats 1/2 cup Royal Canin Renal a day. Since it has so much rice it is very "sticky", he has an issue with it sticking to the roof of his mouth. I roll the food into small marble sized pieces and let them dry on the counter for a few hours, he can swallow these without chewing.
My primary vet has "dis-owned" Pepsi. Initially my vet had recommended IV at his office for the day (he is not open 24 hours) and I would take him home nights but now he says since I went to the Internist he will not do this. The Internist wants Pepsi to start 2-3 days of IV but Pepsi has done so well with SubQ I want to wait a week and do another blood panel to see if IV's are still necessary, and since the Internist recommends IV my primary vet will not assist me with SubQ either. The Internist showed me how to do this and I purchased the fluids, needles. He is drinking on his own now and seems to being doing well with new meds. Internist wants me to give him 75 cc's everyday. I think this extreme, and want your opinions. He weighs 4 lbs. I want to give him SubQ every other day or maybe when he needs it.
I too think $2000 for 2-3 days of IV is extremely high. It covers Nursing Care, Catheterization, IV set up, Fluid Therapy, Medication, and blood work ups every 12 hours. I checked 2 other 24 hour facilities. One would not take unless primary vet refers (and I doubt mine will) so I could not get price and another is very similar in price. I was told visitation is from 11 am to 11 pm and I am welcome to visit and hand feed him myself if that is a concern of mine (which it is).