Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Community
327 Members

Oliver 15 year old Maltese with Kidney Disease

Results are in: Olivers BUN went from 23 to 25 Creat: 1.4 to 1.7  Specific Gravity went from 1.016 to 1.012 His potassium has increased, therefore Dr. Schultz thought it would be best to take him off the renal essentials for a month and have him retested.  If the potassium remains the same then she wants to start him on fish oil. She did say with Kidney Disease/Failure the numbers do fluctuate.  Overall, she feels that it is great he continues to eat and keep himself  hydrated.  She said the blood results are not “alarming” but we continue to monitor him.  He needs to build muscle which is difficult with this disease and his age of 15. But, she did say I have been exceptional in taking care of him and he is very fortunate to be with me 24/7.
Any thoughts? He still is pretty active and eating like there is no tomorrow.
Hi. Wow, the levels are really good. Okay, on the high end of normal, but within a good range nonetheless. The creatinine needs caution, because it is a by-product of muscle metabolism ... it may be worth pushing extra fluids, because creatinine can rise due to poor blood volume (even mild dehydration can cause this). Isosthenuric urine (where specific gravity is 1.008-1.012) means urine is more or less the same concentration as his blood plasma, which means the kidneys can neither concentrate nor dilute urine once it has initially formed. This may be more difficult to control, because it is something we can't fix through diet or medication - it's just the kidneys slowly failing. The art is really to do what you are already doing, which is a) try to flush the body of toxins as best as possible with extra fluids; and b) try to prevent the kidneys having to work so hard by reducing low quality proteins and other high toxin high waste product foods in the diet.

So far, you are doing a fabulous job and the results prove it. Well done.

Tony x
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your feedback. I value your comments very much.
One of the things that amazes Dr. Schultz is Oliver not having any tinkling accidents at all. He sleeps all night.  His consumption of water is the same as it was before he went into kidney failure not any more or less. He continues to eat and drink fluids.  I've added white rice to his diet because he wants him to gain some weight. Thank goodness he gobbles that up. Over all, he seems like little feisty Oliver has not vomited (he does take 1/4 pill of Pepcid every morning). Pretty much all is good for now.  I think we were expecting his values to remain the same or even get better- afraid we are expecting too much from a 15 year old Maltese that bounced back rather quickly.....seems like a miracle.  I will post again soon. Again thank you for your kind words....you have helped me tremendously.
Oliver is a lesson for everyone on here ... he has given hope, reassurance and proof that intervention and gusto from himself and you can work miracles. I am so pleased for both of you - long may this good news continue. You are both amazing. Tony x
Thanks Tony,

Oliver and I are a team. He just ate lunch. He sure lets me know when he wants to eat :)  My only concern is will I know when its "time".  I probably should not even be thinking about that and should relish the moments we are having together especially at his age.   Because he is 15 he does have separation anxiety. He normally is with me 24/7 but I have doctor appts I need to take care and unfortunately cannot bring him along. Do you know anything  about lavender oil or can you suggest anything that would calm him down when he realizes I am not home with him. Unfortunately, this occurred yesterday when I had a dental in the morning. He was sound asleep and I was only gone an hour. Upon my return  he had tinkled in his bed. He normally signals me to help him and I will guide him to the piddle pad.  Oliver has me trained....and this behavior has been established for the past two years - all my fault.  Your thoughts :)
Hi Sep anxiety can truly be an utter nightmare. I had a wonderful rescue greyhound maybe 10 yrs ago now, who the shelter asked me to "give a try", because they knew I was the last hope and that I had some experience of dealing with this kind of issue. I put 24/7 into 'Arthur' for 7 months. I loved that dog so much and while I was with him, there wasn't any better dog on the planet. But, 10 minutes out of the house turned him into something quite crazy. I didn't step foot out of the house without someone being with him for 6 months, while undertaking several behavioral programs - including eventually hiring two dog behaviorists (one a police dog behaviorist) to intervene when I was at my wits end. I also tried pheromone calmers, medications and crating. It ll failed miserably. In the end, I had to return him and I learned shortly afterwards he was euthanized. I still feel as guilty now as I did then. I hate giving in - on anything or anyone - and that day I was forced into it, for my own sanity.

What it taught me, however, is that sep anxiety in dogs is usually something that is created either by us or by a prior experience/owner. Also, to compound this, some dogs are prone to having anxiety more than others. It's a very complex psychological puzzle - and one of the hardest to cure once it takes hold.

I think it may be worth trying some plug-in pheromone treatments. They do work, but not on all dogs. If it's a mild case of sep anxiety, then it could cure it overnight, so definitely worth trying. Next we have to remember that Oliver is an old boy with health issues. He's had lots of attention, because he needs lots of attention - so this isn't something you have 'created', it's just happened because of circumstances. Weening him off your attention may be undertaken, but I would suggest doing it slowly and cautiously, So, hard as it might be, you could lock him out of the room for may be half an hour (then work up by small degrees until you are at an hour). This would give him other areas of the house to roam in, just not the room you are in. This process could take a week or several weeks to achieve the desired result, one where Oliver is calm (and preferably asleep) on his own without whining or calling to you or pacing another room.

Once you get to the one hour point successfully, come back and ask about the next stage. It's the hardest thing in the world to do, because we are shutting out the dog we love, but remember it's for his good, and it will be beneficial to him. It's just very hard for us (as owners) to do.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Yes, due to Oliver's illness, I have paid extra attention to him and his needs and so has my boyfriend. To the point of "he is 15 years old and he deserves all the TLC"  I run all my errands when he is asleep (bright and early- thank goodness I am an early bird). He is with me at work so there again we are together constantly.  Right before he went into severe kidney failure I had his eyes checked because he kept bumping into things. Part of it was his lack of coordination due to CKF and he has a cataract in the left eye so this impairs his vision. He sees shadows.  So, I gather he is afraid since he does not see very well.  His depth perception is off but he manages. He is able to walk without bumping into anything at this time- he is getting better.  I will try and experiment with him a little at a time and see how he does with your ideas.  Thanks :)
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.