Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs Community
327 Members

STEM CELL THERAPY

Hi Has anyone experience or knowledge of this,  I am contacting my vet to ask if this treatment can be used on my 6 yrs old husky who is in late stage 3 CKD.

Any info would be appreciated.
Hi.

Stem cell therapy is a complex, very expensive and uncertain development in the treatment of canine kidney disease. Colorado State University have been one of the leading agencies for this research, which has now been going for some years.Early studies were very disappointing - but more recent ones, involving cats with kidney disease, have shown some (sometimes only slight) improvements. It is a very invasive form of treatment, and not all patients survive it. On balance, I would say it is too early in the research to use this form of treatment on most dogs with late stage kd - although it has some merit in some very dire cases.

Tony
Hi tony I asked my vet to research any centres in the uk , I have found two, but my vets have said at best it would halt the disease but that no timescale is gauranteed . She has said similar to yourself in as much as she thjnks it risky and that he is to far advanced. I feel like im sitting here letting it take him, and I should be fighting to save him its like a timebomb hanging over me  I feel like were being robbed. Is there anything that I could look at with a chance of halting this?
Hi. Yes, there's lots that you can do to try to improve both quality and longevity of life. Nothing is guaranteed with this disease, and sometimes even the very best of management doesn't work. It really depends how much working kidney tissue is left undamaged. The focus of management and treatment is to relieve stress on the kidneys, so that they can function for longer. There is no stopping the degeneration, but it can be slowed down.

Let me have all the info you can ... the food that was and is being used, how the diagnosis was made (and post results from those blood and urinalysis tests - if you don't have them, ask for copies and post), find out if a blood pressure check was taken, and tell me any medications he is on and whether there are any more recent blood/urine tests to those at the time of diagnosis.

I know only too well what it feels like to have a companion and family member with this disease. Our dogs mean the world to us and it can be both harrowing and heartbreaking seeing them ill and knowing it seems there's little we can do to help. But rest assured, there are things that will help as long as the disease hasn't progressed too far. For now, let's stay positive and see what we can do to support you and your best friend. Here, we tend to think ... every day we can gain is a bonus, and sometimes those days can run into weeks, months and even years.

Cheers

Tony
Tony,

Thanks in fairness Earl has helped me enormously with diet, but Some food stuffs foggy will not tolerate.

He will be 7 in a months time.  Vet thinks he had this from birth.

Always been sickly and ill.

Diagnosed in July 2015.

At diagnosis the results were

Urea  9.8
Creatinine 223,
BP 210

After drugs (fortekor 20mg ) and prescription food was administered the figures changed to

Urea 7.5
Creatinine was238
BP 147

These figures remained until recently the new figures were taken 23rd Feb 2016 they are now:

Urea 11.
Creatinine 311
BP 180
PCV 48
weight 36 (this has allways been between 35-36.5kw)
Phospate normal
Electrolytes normal
magnesium normal
Zinc normal (i pay extra for this as huskys suffer with zinc deficiencies)

Fortekor now 2 x tablets 40mg

Diet, Evian water (for BP low in sodium)

The daily 2 or 3 meals of below

Royal Canin sachets of renal wet food
Royal Canin renal dry
Royal canin renal tins / or purina / or specific vet XXX

one meal a day consisting of .

Boiled cod or pollock fillets fish (one meal a day)
cabbage (every other day)
Tripe (one meal on alternative days)
basically 3 meals of renal food and one treat dinner

Fortiflora sachet
zitac at bedtime for reflux (half a tablet )

Occassional treat being a pet bakers biscuit (no additives) one or two a day :(

Was feeding lamb have stopped that.

I did not have a urine test this time previous test was SG 1.032 and UPC 1,66

Hope thats not to overwhelming!!!

thanks Tony

K.
Tony,

Always been sickly and ill.

Diagnosed in July 2015.

At diagnosis the results were

Urea  9.8
Creatinine 223,
BP 210

Urea 7.5
Creatinine was238
BP 147

Urea 11.
Creatinine 311
BP 180
PCV 48
Phospate normal
Electrolytes normal
magnesium normal

Fortekor now 2 x tablets 40mg

The daily 2 or 3 meals of below

Royal Canin sachets of renal wet food
Royal Canin renal dry

one meal a day consisting of .

cabbage (every other day)
Tripe (one meal on alternative days)

Fortiflora sachet

Was feeding lamb have stopped that.

Hope thats not to overwhelming!!!

thanks Tony

K.
Whoops posted twice sorry!!

Wanted to add the pet bakery biscuits are just flour and water and peas they are made by pet bakery not bakers!!
Hi. Thanks. Do you have a record of the phosphorus and BUN levels on the blood results (past and recent)?

Tony
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.